AN ACCOUNT OF EXPLANATIONS

"So there you go," Riglo said. "Never occurred to us that the dancer was also one of us. But seeing as he did, Groblar came up with the idea of saying you were performing for the governor."

Vi smiled at her drummer, who gave a wink. Ciju also looked at him and cocked his head.

"Do you know why he doesn't talk?"

Vi shook her head.

"I wish I did. All I know is that none of the people in Welvale can talk now...but they could before the Grumans came. The Grumans did something to take away their voices...and then let a few of them live so they could play music."

The drummer sighed and tapped his drum a few times. Ciju gave a nod.

"Well I can see why they kept him. He's great at that. But stealing his voice was really stupid on their part."

The drummer raised an eyebrow as Ciju shrugged.

"If it's music that they wanted, why take your voice away? You aren't able to sing."

The girl sat up and looked at the drummer, who gave a shrug.

"But...but could you sing?" she asked him. "I mean...before?"

He gave a slight nod and tapped his fingers on the drum. Riglo then gave a grin and looked at Ciju.

"Well ol' Ciju is rather partial to singing. That's what his girl does."

"Oh she does?" Vi grinned.

"He sure didn't pick her for her looks," Riglo muttered.

"Hey!" Ciju said. "Don't you insult my girl like that!"

"All right, all right," Riglo said, holding his hands up. "Just saying..."

"Just saying nothing," Ciju growled. "You watch your mouth or so help me..."

"Take it easy," Groblar said. "He does have a point. Her appearance is why she doesn't believe you like her that much."

Ciju made a face.

"Jojo mentioned that."

"So did Bri," Groblar sighed. "And no amount of your flirting seemed to convince her otherwise. Bri was tempted to tell her about you spying on her when it was her turn to cook."

Ciju raised his eyebrows.

"Did she?"

Groblar shrugged but Riglo laughed.

"You'd have heard an earful by now if Moxi knew about that. Good Sonchian girls do not let guys stare at their legs."

Ciju grinned as Vi gave a giggle.

"You cheeky rascal."

"What?" Ciju shrugged. "She's got great legs. Only reason those two don't think she's good looking is because they make her cover them up."

Riglo rolled his eyes but Ty nodded.

"In this instance, I agree."

Ciju did a double-take.

"You do?"

"Of course," he said. "The arms and legs must be free so they can climb and run and hunt and work. My lady only covered what was necessary."

Riglo raised his eyebrows as Ciju nodded.

"He's right. His girl wore this dress that was even shorter than Piku's. It's no wonder he don't want her around other guys."

Ty nodded as Vi looked at her drummer.

"Does it bother you when men stare at me?"

The drummer made a face and Ciju laughed.

"Seems it does. He just couldn't do much about it."

She giggled as Groblar sat up.

"Well it looks like we're coming up on Soubadock. We know a couple of the girls are here...so if we're lucky..."

"More like...if the Great Spirit helps us..." Riglo said.

"Oh please help us," Ciju prayed. "Let Moxi be here...and give me the chance to get it through her head how crazy I am about her."