Opposites Attract (Part 4/?)

Saskia

Okay... okay, it’s alright, I’ve got this...!

I...

I’ve totally not got this.

Oh god, she’s freaking out...! The hell do I do?

Act calm.

“Hey, Ryleigh, I'm going to help you, okay?” I smile gently.

She gasps.

“First, I need to know one thing, so I know how to help you... is this still because of your sensory or just the bullying in general?

I literally can’t think of anything to do but hug her, so I swear it better not be her sensory or I’m stuck.

“T... Th... The...”

“It’s okay, I’m here.” I smile softly. “Take your time.”

I watch with mock calmness as she attempts to breathe in then out.

I need to stay strong for her.

“T... Th... The... b... b-bullying...”

I breathe a sigh of relief.

“So would a hug be okay?” I ask tentatively.

Surprise flashes across her face, before she nods slowly, gasping.

I move closer to her, opening my arms. She curls into me, clinging tightly to me. Her hair falls over my shoulder as she buries her head in my neck, sobbing heavily and gasping, struggling for air, and trembling violently in my arms.

Oh god, I’ve never seen anyone so scared...

I wrap my arms around her, pulling her close and feeling an intense sense of protectiveness rush over me, despite not even knowing her. I hold her tight, but not too tight, my arms fully round her and a hand on the back of her shoulder to keep her as close to me as possible, turning my head sideways and burying it in her hair.

“It’s okay... it’s okay, I’ve got you, just focus on my breathing, and try to follow. I’m here...” I whisper.

She clings even tighter to me, shaking and sobbing hard into my neck, hyperventilating. I hold her closer to me, starting to gently rock her from side to side, the way my Mum and Dad used to when I was little, in hope of calming her down at least a bit.

“S... Sas... kia... I ca...n’t...” she chokes.

“It’s okay, it’s okay, I know. I’m here, just try to breathe with me, okay?” I murmur. “Can I have your hand?”

She nods shakily into my shoulder, unwrapping one arm from round me to give me her hand. I take it, placing it on my chest and squeezing it slightly, still holding her close.

“Can you feel my chest rising and falling?” I ask softly.

“Mmh...mhm...”

“Okay, good.” I smile gently. “Can you focus on it and try to match our breathing?”

She nods, gasping, and I hold her in one arm, holding her hand to my chest, and continuing to rock her as she tries to do as I say.

“Hey, can you look at me?”

She lifts her head, looking me in the eyes as best she can with her eyes unfocused, tears running down her cheeks and breathing shakily.

“Good, you’re doing so well.” I rest my forehead against hers, holding her closer. “Now just keep your eyes on me and follow my breathing, okay?” I smile softly.

She nods.

“Okay. In...”

She breathes in shakily.

“Out...”