17. This is freedom. (Emotions)

In exchange for their strong Bloodline Magic, Vassago don't tend to have much skill when it comes to any magical power otherwise.

Still, making a simple platform to sit on is easy. And that's where the group finds him, a slightly tipsy smile on his face as he admires Atori's half-crushed eyeball while swinging his legs over the edge.

His white coat is stained now with blood and dust and dirt, but he doesn't seem to mind. He even perks up happily, like a dog that's just waddled in mud, when he spots the group.

"The hell has that pup been doing while the park's getting destroyed by monsters?" Kalego groans.

"He was right over there when the beast was aiming that laser at the shelter, can he be any less aware of himself?" Asmodeus groans.

"Heck, he was running wild the entire time!" Camui complains. "But once the monsters showed up he was nowhere to be seen?"

"Honestly I'm relieved he was just doing the crazy Vassago equivalent of chasing butterflies," Jazz admits, "I thought he was done for."

"Huh? What happened to the crazy guy he was fighting anyways?" Lied wonders.

"Now now," Iruma chuckles, soothing the group that looked as if they all wanted to go over there and punch the mutt, "I managed to eat the blast, so all's well it ends well!"

"You're so easygoing, Iruma..."

"Soyo!"

The pillar Soyo had made for himself towered over the rubble, but his wings spread and he descended easily.

Everyone tensed as Ameri stepped forward, her voice even. It was clear Soyo was in for the scolding of the century, so much that the three adults in their company weren't even bothered to speak up at all. Iruma's been through the Student Council boot camp, he knows best how fierce she can be.

Instead of yelling, though, Ameri spreads her arms.

"Come down here."

Soyo releases his wings, and falls the rest of the way down to be caught by her. He lets out an excited squeal as he does this, burying his face into Ameri's shoulders and clinging like a koala once he's secured.

Dutifully, Ameri just walks back to the group, just like that.

"That's it??" Sabnock's baffled.

He ran around indiscriminately attacking everyone, was reckless enough to gouge out a demon's eyeball when said demon was clearly much stronger than himself, and in the aftermath he acted like a bystander to all the battle with the beasts.

Sure, he had a reason to attack, but it was bizzare.

"Of course," Ameri says. "I am his handler, his owner. I'm not his teacher, or his trainer. I am not the one in charge of pulling him back from his leash, I am simply the one who he comes back to, even after the collar is taken off."

They're partners.

Only the Vassago can truly understand what they intend to do. And their handlers are the demons who will stand by their side, no matter where the road takes them. That's all.

"If Ameri's not scolding you, that's fine," Opera raises their hand and all attention turns to them. "I, however have some words for you."

Balam also raises his hand, "as do I."

Kalego shrugs, "while we're at it, I might as well too."

Ah.

-