Chapter 2 - August 23rd 2021

August 23rd 2021

Yeorum slid open the ice cream fridge at the convenience store and grabbed her favorite—mint chocolate chip. After paying, Yeorum stepped outside and settled into a chair overlooking the bustling street, relishing the cool treat. Just as she took her first bite, a familiar voice called out, "Hey, Yeorum!" It was Jaein, her childhood neighbor, who had just finished her shift at the nearby café.

"You didn't get me one?" Jaein exclaimed, sliding into the chair across from her, her eyes wide in mock betrayal.

"Sorry! I didn't know you'd be here! I thought you were busy serving coffee to the caffeine-deprived masses," Yeorum shot back with a grin.

Jaein rolled her eyes dramatically. "Right, because my life revolves around lattes. But speaking of coffee, can you believe summer is almost over? Feels like we just started enjoying the sunshine!"

"I know, right? It's like we blinked and suddenly it's time for school shopping again," Yeorum replied, leaning back in her chair. "I'm not ready to give up the warm evenings and ice cream runs."

"Tell me about it! I still have that summer bucket list we made! We barely ticked anything off it!" Jaein lamented, crossing her arms in faux disappointment.

After they finished teasing each other, Yeorum's phone buzzed in her pocket. She fished it out to find a message from her mom: "Come home. We need to talk."

"Ugh, my mom's calling me back," Yeorum groaned, pushing her chair back and standing up. "Looks like I have to head home."

Jaein pouted playfully. "You're not in trouble, are you?"

"Not yet, but who knows? Better to be safe than sorry!" Yeorum said, shaking her head with a grin. "Let's walk back together."

"Lead the way, ice cream queen," Jaein replied, and they stepped outside, the summer air wrapping around them as they began their walk home.

As they strolled side by side, the familiar sounds of their neighborhood filled the air.

"So, have you decided what you want to do after graduation?" Yeorum asked, glancing over at Jaein.

"I still want to go to beauty school, but my parents are against it," Jaein said, her voice tinged with frustration. "They think I should stick to a more 'traditional' path."

Yeorum nodded sympathetically. "That sucks. I really have no idea what I want to do. I mean, I can't even choose between ice cream flavors!"

"Don't worry, we'll figure it out together. But for now, let's enjoy our last few days of freedom!" Jaein said, nudging Yeorum with her shoulder as they continued down the street.