Chapter 5 - August 27th 2021

August 27th 2021

Yeorum was sprawled on the couch, scrolling through her phone when a sharp knock at the door pulled her attention away. She glanced at the clock and realized her mom's friend's son must have arrived with the side dishes. Rubbing her eyes, she pushed herself up and made her way to the door.

Swinging it open, she was taken aback to see a guy standing there, casual confidence radiating from him. He held a bag in one hand, and his dark hair fell perfectly over his forehead, adding to his effortless charm.

"Hi," he said, a hint of a grin forming on his lips. "I'm here to drop off the food."

"Oh, right! Come in," she replied, stepping aside to let him in. Surprised but pleased to see him again, she remembered their brief encounter at the bus stop.

Once inside, he looked around the cozy space, nodding slightly. "Nice place you have here."

"Thanks," she said, gesturing toward the kitchen. "Would you like some tea or anything?"

"Sure, tea sounds great," he answered, leaning casually against the wall.

As she moved to prepare the tea, Yeorum felt a flutter of nerves. He was surprisingly straightforward and laid-back, a stark contrast to how she had imagined him. After pouring the tea, she handed him a cup, their fingers brushing briefly.

"So, do you always drop food off for strangers?" yeorum joked, taking a sip of her tea.

He laughed lightly. "Only when they're friends of my mom."

"By the way, I'm Hyunsuk."

"Nice to meet you, Hyunsuk," she replied, feeling a smile tug at her lips. "I'm Yeorum."

After finishing their tea and chatting comfortably, Hyunsuk glanced at his watch. "I should probably get going. Thanks for the tea; it was nice to meet you."

Yeorum felt a twinge of disappointment but masked it with a smile. "Thank you for the dishes! I'll enjoy them."

He chuckled softly, pushing himself off the wall. "They should be great. My mom always knows how to cook."

As she walked with him to the door, feeling a lightness in her chest, she suddenly heard footsteps approaching. Just as she opened the door, her dad appeared, his expression shifting from tired to shocked upon seeing a boy stepping out of their house.

"Who's this?" he asked, eyeing Hyunsuk with a mix of curiosity and protectiveness.

Yeorum's heart raced. "Dad, this is—"

Hyunsuk, sensing the interrogation, stepped forward with an easy confidence. "Hey, I'm just dropping off some food from your wife's friend," he said casually, extending a hand. "I'm a neighbor."

Her dad shook his hand, though still scrutinizing him closely. "A neighbor, huh? What's your name?"

"Hyunsuk," he replied smoothly. "I live a few blocks away."

Yeorum felt a rush of embarrassment, wishing she could just disappear into the floor. "Dad, it's fine!"

Her father's gaze flickered between them, not fully convinced but relenting slightly. "Alright"

Hyunsuk gave a nod, a hint of amusement in his eyes. "I'll get going"

"See you around," he added, stepping back out into the warm afternoon light.

As the door clicked shut behind her, Yeorum couldn't help but feel both flustered and excited.