Chapter four

Zara had settled into a rhythm in New York, her days filled with meetings and discussions centered around the art exhibition she was curating with Luca. Each week brought new challenges and creative ideas, deepening her involvement in the vibrant art scene. As she navigated the complexities of the project, the line between professional collaboration and personal attraction with Luca blurred more with each encounter.

Today, they were seated in a private meeting room of a downtown gallery, surrounded by framed works of emerging artists. Luca, dressed casually in a tailored jacket and dark jeans, exuded a polished ease that contrasted with the intensity of his gaze.

They reviewed artist selections and debated the layout of the exhibition, their discussions laced with subtle challenges and quiet agreements.

"I think this piece should be the focal point," Zara said, gesturing to a striking abstract painting. "It has a sense of movement that pulls you in, making it impossible to look away."

Luca studied the piece, his eyes narrowing slightly. "It's compelling, but I wonder if it's too confrontational. We need something that engages without overwhelming."

Zara tilted her head, considering his point. "Art should evoke a reaction, even if it's intense. That's the whole point, isn't it?"

Luca's lips curved into a small smile. "You always go for the bold choice. I admire that, but sometimes subtlety can have a greater impact."

Zara watched him closely, appreciating his knack for balancing strategy with an unexpected sensitivity to art. "I think there's room for both. A mix of bold and subtle, just like this exhibition—and maybe us."

The words hung between them, unplanned but not unwelcome. Their meetings had become a delicate dance, each conversation an exploration of boundaries and unspoken connections. Luca found himself increasingly captivated by Zara's insights, her passion for art, and her ability to challenge him in ways few others dared. He was used to being in control, but with Zara, there was always an element of unpredictability that both intrigued and unsettled him.

As they wrapped up, Luca lingered a moment longer, his gaze fixed on Zara. "I'll have the contracts finalized by next week. We're nearly there."

Zara nodded, feeling the weight of his words but also the unspoken tension building between them. "I look forward to it."

Later that week, Zara met Lucie at a cozy café near Central Park. The air was crisp, and the café buzzed with the sounds of friends catching up and baristas crafting lattes. They settled into a quiet corner, their cups steaming in front of them.

Lucie seemed unusually bright, her eyes sparkling with a secret she was eager to share. "I have some very exciting news."

Zara leaned in, curious. "You're glowing. What's going on?"

Lucie hesitated for a moment, her smile widening. "James and I... we're going to have a baby."

Zara's eyes widened, her expression lighting up with joy. "Lucie! That's incredible! I'm so happy for you."

Lucie's smile remained, but there was a touch of vulnerability in her eyes. "I'm three months along. I haven't told many people yet. It's still so new, and honestly, I'm thrilled, but I'm also terrified."

Zara reached out, placing her hand over Lucie's. "I can't even imagine. But you're going to be an amazing mom."

Lucie nodded, her eyes misting slightly. "I've wanted this for so long, you know? But now that it's happening, it's... a lot. There are so many things to think about, so many worries. What kind of mother will I be? What if I mess up?"