Gold I

Amidst the overgrown ruins, they stood, where nature had long reclaimed its hold through moss, wild grasses, and nameless flowers. Once, this place must have been whole and grand, for even now, its majesty lingered in the air. Fractured, viridescent floor tiles and weathered carvings on broken pillars whispered stories of its past greatness.

Amid the crooked columns, a polished red stone stood proud—untouched by the ravages of time and destruction. The stone had been shaped into the likeness of a mysterious bird, its form both regal and strange. Perched on a faded plinth, the statue seemed to defy decay, capturing the moment a fiery, majestic fowl was frozen between stillness and flight. Its exaggerated curves and flowing lines exuded both power and grace, with its long, outstretched tails hinting at something more.

With a fleeting thought, the bird's elongated tail seemed to fuse seamlessly with its beak and curved body, transforming into a swirling flame. The sense of familiarity was undeniable, as though the sculptor had whispered directly to her soul, urging her to pay attention.

It's just like the one in the sky, she thought, glancing upward. The usual blanket of murky clouds was gone, replaced by a radiant orb blazing above—its brilliance far beyond anything she had ever seen, more intense than a thousand candles combined.

It's not white... The realisation hit her as the searing light burned into her vision. Yet, she couldn't tear her gaze away.

"Koe."

The voice behind her was magnetic, impossible to ignore. She turned briefly to see a towering figure bathed in golden light.

Golden? Or was it a trick of her vision? The question barely touched her mind before her fascination shifted back to the brilliant orb in the sky.

That must be the Uns, she thought, the revelation jarring her even as a comforting warmth spread through her body. The light's glow felt familiar and safe, yet something deep within her whispered unease.

"Koe." Once again, her name was called but this time more forceful than before.

Koe turned, this time fully facing the giant, her gaze sweeping over every detail that fit within her sight. Golden hair cascaded over the figure's shoulders, brushing across her face, barely concealing eyes that gleamed like molten gold. The giant's skin shimmered with a radiance much like that of the Uns, yet an aura of unease clung to her. Nervously biting her nails, she said, "Koe, you need to listen."

But Koe's attention strayed back to the Uns.

The giant's frown deepened, her tone edged with exasperation. "The Uns? Is this fixation a curse of your current form? Or perhaps..." She paused, as if something clicked in her mind. "Ah, of course. It's your first time seeing it. Which makes it all the more important that you listen."

Koe didn't. She was transfixed, watching as the Uns slowly sank, its light painting the sky in deep, fiery reds.

"Koe!" the giant called out again, urgency lacing her voice. "You must listen before everything ends. This concerns the Uns too."

Reluctantly, Koe turned back toward the giant, who now rubbed her forehead, clearly frustrated. "At least you're intrigued by the Uns," the giant muttered. "That spares me from having to stoke your curiosity—hopefully." With a resigned sigh, she added, "Soon, you'll have a chance to escape your fate. You must take it. You will be—"

For a moment, Koe felt weightless, as though she were floating in a dark void. Then, primal fear gripped her as her back hit hard dirt, and she threw wild punches into the air, her eyes still clenched shut.

"Ouch!" A loud yelp echoed through the small, cramped room as something hard struck the sole of Koe's foot.

"What's going on, Bella? Are you hurt?" The familiar, soothing voice brought Koe back to her senses. The dimly lit room smelled of damp stone, and the flickering light from a stub of a white candle barely illuminated the space, barely large enough for three people.