Chapter 1: Infiltration

The office building towered above the city streets, sleek and imposing, much like the man who owned it. Olivia Reed stood at the entrance, her pulse quickening as she clutched the file in her hand, the fake resume that had landed her the position of Ethan Blackwell's personal assistant.

She had been briefed extensively before starting. Ethan Blackwell wasn't just a successful CEO-he was dangerous. Suspected of running an international crime syndicate behind the facade of his multi-million dollar empire, Blackwell had managed to evade law enforcement for years. The authorities needed someone on the inside, someone who could gather evidence. That someone was Olivia.

She was good at her job-had been undercover in several high-stakes cases before. But none of them had prepared her for this. Ethan Blackwell was a different breed of criminal. Charming. Calculated. Deadly.

As she entered the lobby, the sound of her heels clicking on the marble floor, Olivia reminded herself why she was there. This wasn't just about taking down a crime lord-it was personal. Ethan had ruined lives, and she was determined to see him pay. The department had warned her about the risks, about how dangerous it would be to get close to him. But she had no choice. This was the only way.

Olivia stepped into the elevator, the file clutched tightly in her hands as it rose to the top floor. The butterflies in her stomach were a new sensation. She had been undercover before, but something about Ethan's reputation unsettled her in a way she couldn't explain.

When the doors slid open, she was greeted by a sleek office space, minimalistic and cold. A woman, impeccably dressed, stood behind a large reception desk. She barely glanced at Olivia before speaking.

"Mr. Blackwell is expecting you," the woman said curtly, gesturing toward the large, oak double doors at the end of the hall.

Taking a deep breath, Olivia made her way down the hall, her heart pounding in her chest. She knocked twice, her hand trembling slightly before she could control it.

"Come in."

His voice was smooth, authoritative, sending an unexpected chill down her spine. She opened the door and stepped inside.

Ethan Blackwell sat behind a large mahogany desk, his dark eyes immediately locking onto hers. He was even more intimidating in person-tall, broad-shouldered, with an air of complete control that filled the room. His tailored suit clung to his muscular frame, and there was an unsettling intensity in the way he watched her, as if he could see straight through her disguise.

"Miss Reed," he said, his deep voice commanding attention. "Sit."

She forced herself to smile, stepping forward and taking a seat opposite him. "Mr. Blackwell, thank you for this opportunity."

His lips curved slightly, though it wasn't exactly a smile. More like a predator assessing his prey. "Your qualifications are impressive. But I'm sure you already know that."

Olivia felt a bead of sweat forming at her temple, though she kept her expression composed. "I pride myself on being thorough."

Ethan leaned back in his chair, eyes never leaving hers. "Good. I like that in my employees." There was a pause, thick with tension, before he continued. "You'll find that working for me requires a certain... commitment. I expect loyalty, Miss Reed. Absolute loyalty."

Olivia's stomach tightened, but she nodded. "Of course."

"Good. Because once you're in, there's no turning back." His eyes darkened slightly, the intensity of his stare making it hard to breathe. "I don't tolerate betrayal."

The words hung in the air like a threat, and Olivia had to remind herself to stay calm. He didn't know who she really was. Not yet.

"I understand, Mr. Blackwell," she said, keeping her voice steady. "I won't disappoint you."

For a long moment, he said nothing, just watched her with that same predatory gaze. Then, with a nod, he stood up, walking around the desk until he was standing directly in front of her. Olivia's breath hitched as he leaned down slightly, his face inches from hers.

"You're new here, Olivia," he said, his voice a low rumble. "But I can already tell you're different. I don't know what it is yet, but I'll find out."

Her pulse quickened, her heart slamming against her ribs. She felt the heat of his body, the raw power that radiated from him. She had to remind herself who he was. A criminal. The enemy.

But there was something in the way he looked at her, something that made her skin tingle and her mind cloud with thoughts she shouldn't be having.

Before she could respond, he straightened up and walked back to his desk, his back to her now. "You'll report to me directly. No one else. Is that clear?"

Olivia swallowed hard, forcing herself to regain control. "Yes, Mr. Blackwell. Understood."

"Good," he said without turning around. "You can go now."

She stood, her legs feeling slightly unsteady as she walked to the door. But just as she reached for the handle, his voice stopped her.

"And Olivia?"

She froze, glancing over her shoulder.

"Don't ever lie to me."

Her breath caught in her throat, but she managed a nod. "I won't."

As she stepped out of his office, closing the door behind her, Olivia let out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding. She knew this was going to be dangerous, but nothing had prepared her for Ethan Blackwell.

This wasn't just an undercover mission anymore. This was survival.