Chapter 3: Subtle Games

The tension in the office had eased slightly since Ethan's interrogation over Olivia's resume. She had managed to deflect his suspicions, but it had been close. Too close. As she sat at her desk, typing up some documents, she couldn't help but replay the conversation in her mind, the way he had looked at her, as though he could see straight through her.

Just as her thoughts began to spiral again, Ethan's voice came from behind her. "Olivia, can you come in here?"

Her heart skipped a beat, but she took a deep breath and stood, smoothing her blouse before walking into his office. Ethan sat at his desk, leaning back in his chair with an unreadable expression.

"Close the door," he said, his voice low but firm.

She obeyed, feeling her pulse quicken. He gestured for her to sit, and she did, meeting his gaze head-on, determined to appear calm.

"About the other day," he started, pausing for a moment as if choosing his words carefully. "You weren't entirely honest with me, were you?"

Olivia's stomach dropped, but she kept her expression neutral. "I'm not sure what you mean."

Ethan leaned forward, his elbows resting on the desk. "Your work experience. I've been thinking about it, and it seems to me that maybe you weren't completely forthcoming because... you needed this job. Badly."

She froze, her mind racing. He didn't know the truth, but he had found an explanation that would fit. It wasn't the real reason, but it was a reason. Olivia let out a quiet breath, grateful he hadn't uncovered her real identity. "Yes," she admitted, lowering her gaze slightly to sell the story. "I needed the job."

Ethan watched her closely. "Financial trouble?"

Olivia nodded, thankful for the lie that now served as her shield. "I... I needed the money."

He didn't push further, his expression softening just a fraction. "Well, you've got the job. I expect you to keep it, but I also expect complete honesty from now on."

"I understand," Olivia said quickly, hoping this would close the subject for good. "Thank you, Mr. Blackwell."

His lips twitched into something that wasn't quite a smile but lingered on the edge of amusement. "You can call me Ethan, you know. We're not that formal around here."

Olivia blinked in surprise. "Ethan, then." The name felt strange on her tongue, but also... right.

There was a brief moment of silence, one that felt oddly comfortable. Ethan leaned back in his chair again, his eyes drifting over her, not in the predatory way she had expected from him before, but as if he was genuinely curious about her.

"You don't seem like someone who would struggle," he said, a hint of curiosity in his tone. "What's your story, Olivia?"

Her breath caught in her throat. She had practiced her cover story so many times, it was second nature by now, but somehow, talking to Ethan, she felt the weight of every word. "Everyone has their struggles," she said softly. "I've just learned to hide mine well."

His gaze lingered on her, as if trying to peel back her layers. "Is that why you're so guarded?"

She gave a small smile, deflecting. "I could say the same about you."

Ethan raised an eyebrow, intrigued. "Is that so?"

Olivia nodded, feeling a little braver. "You don't let many people in, do you?"

He didn't respond right away, and for a second, Olivia thought she had overstepped. But then, a ghost of a smile appeared on his lips. "Letting people in has its risks."

She tilted her head, studying him. "And yet, here we are. Having this conversation."

Ethan chuckled softly, a sound so rare that it caught her off guard. "Maybe you're different."

The air between them shifted slightly, and for the first time since she'd met him, Olivia felt the walls Ethan had built around himself start to crack, just a little. She could see a glimpse of the man behind the cold, calculating businessman.

She wasn't sure how to respond to that, so she cleared her throat, steering the conversation in a safer direction. "About the event tomorrow night..."

Ethan's expression shifted back to business, though the glimmer of amusement hadn't fully left his eyes. "What about it?"

"What should I wear?" she asked, trying to sound casual. "I don't want to stand out in the wrong way."

Ethan seemed to consider her for a moment, and then, his eyes darkened with an intensity that made her stomach flip. "I have a suggestion," he said, his voice low. "There's a designer I know-she creates elegant, refined dresses. I think you'd look perfect in one of her creations."

Olivia nodded, her mind already whirring with questions. He was being vague again, but there was something about the way he suggested the dress that made her pause. "Anything specific you have in mind?"

Ethan's gaze lingered on her a moment longer than necessary. "Something that'll catch the right kind of attention. Trust me."

She had no idea that Ethan's recommendation wasn't just about her looking good. He knew exactly what the man he wanted to impress liked to see in a woman-a specific type of elegance, with just the right amount of allure.

Olivia leaned back in her chair, crossing her legs as she looked at him. "Alright, I'll trust your judgment." Then, in a moment of boldness, she added, "But I'll need you to pay for the dress."

Ethan's eyes flashed with amusement, and for the briefest second, something like a challenge danced between them. "Oh? You want me to pay?"

"If I'm going to represent you at this event," Olivia said, keeping her voice steady, "I want to look the part. You're the one with the connections, so it seems fair."

Ethan studied her for a long moment, and then, much to her surprise, he nodded. "Fine. But if I'm paying," he leaned forward, his voice dropping slightly, "you'd better be breathtaking."

Olivia's breath caught, the tension between them thick enough to cut with a knife. She hadn't expected him to agree so easily, and certainly not with that condition. But there was no denying the spark of excitement that shot through her at the idea of meeting his challenge.

"I'll make sure I am," she said, her voice softer than she intended.

Ethan's gaze locked with hers, something unreadable flashing in his eyes before he leaned back in his chair, the tension in the room shifting once more. "Good."

The conversation was over, but as Olivia left his office, her mind was racing. She had wanted to test his boundaries, but somehow, he had managed to test hers as well. There was a dangerous game brewing between them, and both of them knew it.

What Olivia didn't know was just how deep into his world she was about to be pulled.