1.23 | the barn

୨୧

"Ouch!" Cassie flinches as Beth picks a knot out of her hair. She had wanted to just comb through it for her, but now she wants to braid it.

"Hold still." She scolds lightly, trying to get the third strand of hair for the braid. Carl laughs from his spot on the porch next to them, despite Cassie glaring at him.

"Do you know what's going on?" T-Dog questions as he walks up to the porch, Andrea following slightly behind him.

"Where is everyone?" Andrea follows up with.

"You haven't seen Rick?" Glenn asks, standing up from the porch.

"He went off with Hershel. We were supposed to leave a couple hours ago." Andrea answers.

"Yeah you were. What the hell?" Daryl replies, walking over with Carol, who replies with,

"Rick told us he was going out."

"Damn it! Isn't anybody taking this seriously? We got us a damn trail! Oh. Here we go." Daryl says aggressively, noticing Shane walking over towards them.

Cassie wraps her arms around her body, trying to make herself smaller. She really doesn't want him here right now.

"What's all this?" Daryl asks, noticing the bag of guns and angry expression on his face.

So that must've been what he was looking for in the RV... but, why?

"You with me, man?" Her dad asks, walking over and handing out a shotgun to Daryl, who grabs it from him.

"The heck's he handing out guns for?" Cassie murmurs, looking up at Beth. She doesn't reply. She just looks over. She's still braiding her hair though, and she's got all the knots out and it's starting to feel comforting.

"Time to grow up." Her dad says, speed walking over to the group sitting on the porch. She backs up quickly, not even really realizing it.

"You already got yours?" Shane asks, looking expectingly at Andrea.

"Yeah. Where's Dale?" Andrea responds, looking a little confused. Cassie feels the same way.

Where's Uncle Rick and the others? Where's Dale? And why's dad handin' out all these guns for?

She hopes she gets a gun, she really wants one. She knows how to shoot too.

"He's on his way." Her dad responds.

"Thought we couldn't carry." T-Dog responds when he's handed a pistol.

"Yeah, well we can and we have to," Her dad really shouldn't be doing what he's doing, but she can't stop him. She'll just get pushed against the wall like the last time she mouthed off.

"Now look, it was one thing sitting around here picking daisies when we thought this place was supposed to be safe. But now we know it ain't."

She wants to cut in and say there ain't no daisies around here, only those weird flowers Daryl was talkin' bout. But she doesn't.

"How about you, man? You gonna protect yours?" Shane pressures, handing his shotgun to Glenn.

That's weird, she thinks, that's his shotgun. He's real weird about that gun.