Prologue

August Luna
A little more than a year and a half ago to present day.

Papa was on my heels as I pushed through the double doors leading directly to the one person I'd waited to come face to face with. After years of seeing him slander my Father's name with Davis Adler's name beside it—making Davis out to be reformed—I wanted to wipe the floor with Kayax Adler's face.

I wasn't ready until now, and even though I wouldn't start my career for a while, it was still set in motion.

Davis Adler hurt my family, and I refused to allow it to be used as a way to gain a step up. Kayax would forever be tainted in my mind. My Dad's name didn't need to come out of his mouth as often as it did. Unprovoked.

Despite the pushback from the world, Kayax still kept spouting his mouth off about Dad. And what was my Dad supposed to do?

After years of staying hidden to keep my little brother and me safe—I didn't expect him to walk out and defend himself against Davis Adler's spawn.

Davis Adler was formerly my Father's artist manager when he was taking the world by storm with his music. Then, it was found out that Davis tried to get rid of my Uncle Landon because he was a distraction—or so he said. Uncle Landon merely contacted Dad because he'd been struggling with his late-in-life autism diagnosis.

But Davis sent vile text messages to Uncle Landon—pretending to be my Dad. It caused the two of them to split apart. Landon didn't talk to Dad for a year. And Davis was fired as a result when it all came to light.

Hey, get back here, I wasn't done. That wasn't all there was to it.

Uncle Landon and Everest were on a road trip together during this time. Papa Lennox had gone with Dad to be his new artist manager. All was good in the world. Until someone posted that Elijah Moon had a stalker, and his stalker was Landon Luna.

My Dad had gone by a stage name to keep my uncle safe from the public because he was still a minor at the time that my Dad's fame started to grow. It was the same reason why he chose the stage name Moon.

My Dad's fans went rabid. They brutally attacked Landon. Doxxed him. Vandalized their former childhood home. Stalked him. And it even caused Uncle Everest's birth parents to find them. And they were not good people.

More than that, my Dad suffered immense mental health issues. Fears of his fans attacking his loved ones. He stopped writing music for over a year. He was stagnant and too afraid to move.

Papa ended up knocking sense into him, and all was right in the world again.

But Davis caused my family trauma, fear, and pain. And I wouldn't stand by and let this happen. My family was not a selling point for someone else's career. I didn't give a shit how reformed Davis Adler was.

I stopped in front of Kayax Adler's desk as he texted away on his phone with his feet propped up on the damn desk. "Let's make this quick, I have far better things to do with my time."

My lip curled with disgust at hearing his voice this close. For too long, I'd only seen him on TV. "Don't worry, I promise to make this very quick. I don't have any wish to be in the same room as a rat."