Chapter 30 - Acting with Impunity

In the blink of an eye, both the eighth-level and seventh-level wandering immortals were decapitated, leaving only the sixth-level immortal alive. He glanced back, utterly terrified, and let out a piercing scream, fleeing at a speed he'd never reached before in his life.

With a dull "thud," he felt a sudden jolt in his body. He managed a few more steps before realizing something was wrong. Looking down, he noticed an arrowhead protruding from his chest.

"Is this... the end?" he thought, feeling his entire body weaken. He could no longer muster the strength to run, collapsing to the ground, completely spent.

"Quite the runner, aren't you?" Chen Taizhong scoffed from a distance, casually slinging the small bow back over his shoulder.

This little bow was quite intriguing. Not only did it have storage capabilities, but it also came with nine pitch-black arrows stored within its space. When shot, they made no sound, making it a perfect tool for sneak attacks—no wonder that female archer had dared to use it for ambushes.

Chen Taizhong wasn't particularly skilled with the bow, but at a distance of about a hundred meters, while hitting a coin might have been difficult, hitting a person was no problem at all.

He hadn't known the exact cultivation level of the fleeing individual—only that the trio's power exceeded his fifth-level status. He'd merely intended to harass them, never expecting to land a fatal heart shot.

All of this happened in just a few seconds. Skillfully, he picked up two storage pouches before darting to the fallen body and, with a swift motion, decapitated the corpse, collecting a third pouch before darting away.

Within ten seconds, someone had received an alert and arrived. Half a minute later, more than thirty people were already gathered around the three dead bodies.

"Chen Taizhong, the Liang family will never let you off!" Liang Zhigao screamed, his face twisted with rage.

The Liang family's most formidable combatants were two ninth-level wandering immortals, but even their eighth-level sword cultivator, Liang Zhi Cheng, held an important position within the family. Now that he had perished in the wilderness, the loss was devastating.

"Is this guy really that powerful?" Zhou Qinggun muttered under his breath, a chill running down his spine. He was well aware of Liang Zhicheng's abilities, given that they were both well-known figures in Qingshi City.

As a sword cultivator, Liang Zhicheng's combat strength far surpassed his peers. He had once even killed a ninth-level rogue immortal and was an outer disciple of the Qinglian Sword Sect. Although his age made it unlikely for him to reach the Lingxian stage, his ascension to a ninth-level wandering immortal was all but guaranteed.

Because of Liang Zhicheng's immense strength, the Zhou family typically paid little attention to what he said. After all, while he lacked potential, his sheer power was not something anyone wanted to provoke unnecessarily.

"It's not like the Liang family killed Liang Zhicheng themselves," Zhu Jingyun replied expressionlessly. "Fifth Young Master, with such a strong foe, don't start suspecting that we had a hand in this."

The three families had always harbored mutual distrust, and Zhu Jingyun's frustration had been simmering for a long time.

"Zhu Jingyun, you've grown quite the temper recently, haven't you?" Zhou Wang said coldly. As a family servant of the Zhou family, it was his duty to play the villain, while playing the hero was the role of the Fifth Young Master.

"You think your skills have grown to match that temper?"

"My Liang family would never kill our own," Liang Zhigao snapped, thoroughly enraged by the loss of his brother. "Zhou Wang, you're nothing but a servant. Don't throw around the Zhou family's name like that... think I can't take you down?"