Chapter 21 - Escaping to the Wilderness

"Has Young Master Qingcai seen this person?" One of the guards produced a portrait.

"Huh?" Upon seeing the person in the portrait, Dan Wan couldn't help but gasp in surprise.

"You, this female cultivator, have seen him?" The two guards immediately stepped closer, their expressions turning slightly hostile.

"Do you two dare to question my companion?" Zhou Qingcai was instantly furious, assuming the posture of a Zhou family scion — though from a branch family, he was still a member of the main family, while these guards were outsiders.

One of the guards seemed irritated but was pulled back by the other, who smiled and replied, "Young Master Qingcai, even Fifth Young Master is out looking for this man. Perhaps... you'd like to discuss this with him?"

"You mean Brother Qinggun?" Zhou Qingcai's face paled slightly. Who in the Zhou family didn't know of its three great geniuses?

Before long, the three of them were brought before Zhou Qinggun.

Normally, Fifth Young Master Zhou was known to be affable, but today he seemed quite agitated. "Qingcai, where did you see him? Speak quickly, this is very important."

"Just ahead in the bushes, we had a brief encounter," Zhou Qingcai didn't want to say more. After all, two fifth-level Wandering Immortals had been bested by a fourth-level one, which wasn't exactly something to be proud of.

"You're withholding something. Keep talking," Zhou Qinggun wasn't so easy to fool. His age, status, and cultivation level far surpassed that of his younger cousin, so he spoke bluntly.

"I was hoping to earn some side income... but this man is incredibly powerful. Even Zhou Yong was no match for him," Zhou Qingcai muttered bitterly.

Though the Zhou family was united, there was always a subtle distance between the main and branch families. By acknowledging the other party's strength, he was already looking out for the Zhou family's interests. There was no need to further expose the branch family's flaws and give the main family more reasons to mock them.

"Hmph, you branch family..." Zhou Qinggun shook his head, swallowing back the words "branch family." He was a contender for the Zhou family's future patriarch, so he couldn't be too harsh on the branch family members.

As for the opponent's exceptional strength, Zhou Qinggun was well aware of it. Three fourth-level Wandering Immortals guarding the south gate had all been blown away with a single strike.

So, he didn't bother to ask further. It was merely another case of the branch family bullying the weak and then hitting a steel wall. Lifting his chin slightly, he ordered, "Chen Taizhong hasn't gone far. Pursue him."

With a shout, the group rushed ahead, leaving Zhou Qingcai staring in shock. After a long moment, he muttered under his breath, "What did that guy do this time to make the fifth brother personally come after him?"

But Dan Wan, being more perceptive, asked softly, "Brother Qingcai, you just had a dispute with him. Won't he think you're being two-faced?"

"This is Fifth Brother's matter. What does it have to do with me?" Zhou Qingcai snorted coldly. After thinking for a moment, he added, "A fourth-level Wandering Immortal being targeted by Fifth Brother? He's dead for sure."

"Young Master Qingcai, we should head back to the city," Zhou Yong interjected at this crucial moment. "The master has warned us that matters concerning the main family are too chaotic. It's best for us from the branch family not to get involved."

The three of them turned and left, never realizing that their decision would bring near-catastrophic disaster to the Zhou family.

After making his agreement with Zhou Qingcai, Chen Taizhong didn't entirely believe that the matter was settled. A storage bag wasn't a big deal, but if the Zhou family believed their reputation was at stake, they might still pursue the issue.