the rescue

After their arduous journey, Serena and her group had finally found Ash. But the sight that greeted them in the dark cell was nothing short of heart-wrenching. Ash, once the invincible hero of Eldoria, now lay on the cold stone floor, barely clinging to life. His body, marred by weeks of torture, was covered in bruises, burns, and open wounds. His big brown eyes, once full of life, were closed, his face pale and hollow. He didn't stir as Serena knelt beside him, her heart shattering at the sight of her dearest friend in such a broken state.

Serena had loved Ash in silence for years, always keeping her feelings hidden behind a mask of friendship. She had stood by his side through countless battles, finding solace in his smile, but never revealing how deeply she cared for him. And now, as he lay before her, barely alive, the fear of losing him weighed heavily on her chest.

"Ash..." she whispered, her voice trembling as she gently touched his cheek, hoping for any sign of life. "We're here. We've come to take you home."

But there was no response. Ash's body was limp, his breathing shallow and ragged. The dungeon, with its damp walls and stench of decay, had been his prison for far too long, and it was clear that the days of torment had taken their toll.

"We need to get him out of here," Kael, the archer in their group, urged as he kept watch. His voice was tense, knowing they couldn't stay in the fortress much longer. Thorne's men would soon realize they had breached the dungeon.

Mira, though skilled with herbs and salves rather than magic, did her best to tend to Ash's wounds. She applied what little she had to ease his pain and stop the worst of the bleeding. "He's in bad shape," she said, her voice grim. "We need to get him somewhere safe, but even then, it's going to take time for him to recover—if he ever does."

Serena's heart clenched at Mira's words, but she couldn't afford to dwell on the fear. She needed to be strong for Ash, just as he had always been strong for her and everyone in Eldoria.

Together, they carefully lifted Ash, Kael supporting his weight as they began the perilous escape from the fortress. The air was thick with tension as they made their way through the dark halls, every shadow a potential enemy, every sound a threat. Serena's heart raced as they fought off Thorne's guards, each moment a desperate struggle to keep Ash alive and get him to safety.

By the time they finally escaped the fortress, the sky had darkened, and they were miles into the forest that surrounded the mountains. Exhausted but determined, the group set up camp in a hidden glade, far from Thorne's reach. They laid Ash down gently on the ground, wrapping him in blankets to keep him warm.

Serena sat beside him, her heart aching as she watched his labored breathing. She gently took his hand, her thumb brushing over his bruised knuckles. Tears welled in her eyes as she whispered, "You've always been the strong one, Ash. You've saved us all countless times. Please, find the strength to come back to us."

Kael and Mira gave Serena space as they set up camp. They knew how much Ash meant to her, even if she had never spoken of her feelings aloud. Kael, ever the pragmatist, stood watch with his bow in hand, while Mira prepared more herbs to treat Ash's injuries.

As the night grew colder, Serena remained by Ash's side, refusing to leave him. She squeezed his hand tightly, her voice breaking as she spoke softly, "I never told you... how much you mean to me. How much I need you." Her confession was quiet, but filled with emotion. She had always feared telling him, worried it might complicate their friendship. But now, with him so close to death, she could no longer hold back.

Tears spilled from her eyes as she leaned close, her lips brushing his forehead as she whispered, "Please, Ash. You have to come back. I need you more than I ever realized."

Hours passed, and Serena kept vigil by his side, her heart aching with the uncertainty of what the future would hold. She didn't know if Ash would ever wake, if he would ever be the same. But she refused to give up on him. Not now. Not ever.

Kael approached quietly, placing a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "We'll get him back, Serena," he said softly. "We'll take him home."

Serena nodded, wiping away her tears. She knew they still had a long journey ahead, and that Ash's recovery, if it came at all, would not be easy. But she wouldn't give up. No matter how difficult it was, she would stay by his side, just as she always had.

As the dawn broke and the first rays of sunlight filtered through the trees, Serena looked down at Ash, her heart full of hope. Though he was still unconscious, his hand was warm in hers, and she held onto that warmth like a lifeline.

She had faith that Ash, the hero of Eldoria, would find his way back to them. And when he did, Serena would be there, ready to tell him everything she had kept hidden for so long.