CHAPTER 5: BEHIND THE SILENT STARES

Wow what an ice-cold fact. I nodded, feeling a bit sheepish. "Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I'll try to keep that in mind."

By having some conversation with Kita, I found that he has a very blunt way of speaking, where he doesn't sugarcoat his words when voicing his opinion. However, I'm sure this is because Kita cares a lot about people around him.

Kita smiled, his expression softening. "I didn't mean any harm. Just be careful. You don't want to accidentally step on anyone's toes."

"Good to know," I nodded, listening intently, taking mental notes as we continued down the corridor.

When we reached the end of the hallway, Kita paused and gestured toward a large door. "This is the cafeteria. It's not quite like the ones you might have in Western schools-you didn't bring your bento, did you? There are a few food options available here if you need them."

I glanced inside, seeing some students already gathering to buy food. "Ah, Honda-chan mentioned that. I was just curious since my old school had lunch provided for everyone."

"Well, if you're hungry, you should probably grab something. I'll wait for you here."

"Alright," I replied, stepping inside. The cafeteria was full with students, especially boys. Guess the boys were quite ashame to bring a bento... They were chatting and laughing as they formed lines at various food stations. The scent of delicious food wafted through the air, making my stomach grumble slightly.

I scanned the menu board, contemplating my options. Just as I decided on a dish, I spotted a familiar face across the room-Atsumu, the lively twin I had seen earlier. He was chatting happily with Osamu, Suna and Akiko, their laughter standing out among the noise.

I hesitated. Part of me wanted to greet them, especially since they-except Suna, were the first person I'd met here. But after the awkwardness this morning, I decided to give her some space. I didn't want to come off as pushy, and I certainly didn't want to add my first day with any unnecessary tension again.

Better to lay low for now. I just hoped they wouldn't notice me.

Keeping my head down, I approached the counter. "I'll have the curry bun, please," I told the cafeteria staff. As fate would have it, Atsumu stepped up to the counter at the same time, unknowingly picking the exact same menu. What a coincidence.

"I'll take the curry bun," he said, his voice full of energy.

The cafeteria staff looked between us, an apologetic smile forming on her face. "I'm sorry, there's only one curry bun left."

Great. Just what I needed. I silently prayed I wouldn't be caught in an awkward conversation, but Atsumu's attention had already turned to me.

He raised an eyebrow, giving me a lopsided grin. "You're after the curry bun too, huh... SENPAI?"

I tensed at the honorific, realizing Osamu must had been catched up with them about by my upperclassman status. There it was again, I sensed Akiko's 'teritory aura' out of the corner of my eye. I could already feel the awkwardness building.

I glanced at the staff, then back at Atsumu, trying to make a decision. "You can take it," I said quickly, hoping to avoid any unnecessary fuss. "I'll just get something else."

Atsumu blinked, momentarily caught off guard. Then, in typical Atsumu style, he smirked. "Nah, no way. Senpai should have it."

"I insist," I responded, my voice firm but polite. The last thing I wanted was to cause any more of a scene than this situation already was.

The cafeteria lady chuckled, clearly entertained by our back-and-forth. "How about this? We'll cut it in half. You both get some curry bun."

Atsumu looked at me, and I could tell he was weighing it over. "I guess that works," he said, flashing a grin. "Deal?"