3

Chapter 3: "The Lone Wolf"

Detective McFly pushed open the creaky door of "The Lone Wolf," a dimly lit bar tucked away in the roughest part of the city. Neon signs flickered weakly outside, casting an eerie glow over the cracked sidewalk. Inside, the place smelled of cheap booze and desperation, the kind of joint where you didn't ask questions unless you wanted trouble.

At the far end of the bar, wiping down glasses with a slow, deliberate motion, stood Luigi—better known as the Lone Wolf. A towering figure with thick arms covered in faded tattoos, his face was a mask of apathy. But his reputation spoke louder than his silent demeanor. Luigi wasn't just a bar owner; he was a man who knew things, things that couldn't be found in police records or crime reports.

McFly stepped up to the counter, nodding toward the bartender. "Luigi."

The Lone Wolf barely glanced up, continuing to polish the glass. "McFly," he grunted, his deep voice low and gravelly. "Didn't think I'd see you here."

"I'm not here for a drink," McFly replied, leaning forward slightly. "I need information."

Luigi paused for a moment, setting the glass down slowly. His eyes, cold and calculating, locked onto McFly's. "Information, huh? That's a dangerous game around here, detective."

McFly didn't flinch. "I'm looking for a lab. Belongs to a mad scientist—fat, round guy, obsessed with death."

The bar went eerily quiet for a moment. The patrons, rough-looking men hunched over their drinks, subtly glanced in McFly's direction but quickly averted their eyes. Luigi's expression didn't change, but McFly could see the flicker of recognition.

"Why do you wanna know about that?" Luigi asked, his voice a bit lower now.

McFly leaned in closer. "Because Jim Gordon's life depends on it. This guy kidnapped him, and if I don't find that lab soon, he's as good as dead."

Luigi stared at him for a long moment, his brow furrowed. He seemed to weigh his options before finally sighing, reaching under the bar for a cigarette. He lit it with a flick of a silver lighter, taking a slow drag before speaking again.

"I know the guy you're talking about," Luigi muttered, exhaling a cloud of smoke. "Calls himself Professor Menace—real whack job. Used to do government work, but he went rogue after they shut his projects down. Some say he's been experimenting on people in that lab of his. Sick stuff, McFly."

McFly's jaw tightened. "Where is it?"

Luigi took another drag from his cigarette, his eyes narrowing. "It's not a place you want to walk into alone. Word is, it's rigged like a fortress—booby traps, guards, the whole nine yards. But..." he paused, blowing out another stream of smoke, "if you're dead set on finding it, there's a warehouse down by the docks. You'll need to look for a hidden entrance. It's not on any map."

McFly nodded, his mind already racing with a plan. "Thanks, Luigi. I owe you one."

Luigi smirked, finally cracking the smallest of smiles. "You'll owe me more if you make it out alive, detective. Good luck—you're gonna need it."

Without another word, McFly turned and headed out into the night. The cold air hit his face, but it did nothing to quell the fire burning inside him. He had a location now, and time was running out for Jim. All that was left was to walk into the lion's den and face whatever horrors Professor Menace had waiting for him.