Chapter 14 

After she spoke to her robot companion, she glanced back at her computer, continuing her research. "The nerve of that robot, I swear. I know she's trying to protect me, and she's partly right. I am an invader, unfortunately. But do I have to be? Can I just retire as an invader and live my life here? That brings me to my next problem—he doesn't know I'm not actually human. I'm an Irken, sent to take over his home planet. But what if I try to convince him that I'm not who I used to be? Since you came into my life, you've already invaded my heart. You were like me in a way, but I still want to continue being boyfriend and girlfriend. I know this may be a lot to take in, but just hear me out. Yeah, I'll say that to him if it ever comes to that."

She thought deeply about what she might say to Dib in the future as she continued her research on dresses and prom nights or other special occasions. Finally, she chose the right one.

Back with Dib, he had just gotten out of the shower. He dried himself off, combed his hair, and went to his room to change into his tuxedo. After dressing, he looked in the mirror and complimented himself. He took a can of cologne, lifted his shirt, and sprayed both of his armpits. After putting the cologne away, he put on his tuxedo jacket and headed downstairs. Just as he reached the door, his father stopped him.

"Here, son. Take this breath mint. You're gonna need it," Professor Membrane said with a humorous tone, making Dib blush even harder.

"Dad!" Dib exclaimed, embarrassed. His father patted him on the back.

"Take care, son, and remember to be careful," his dad added as he headed back to the basement.

"I know, Dad. But thank you anyway!" Dib replied, slipping the breath mint into his blazer pocket. He then made his way to Tak's house.

"Why am I so nervous about this? Stop being so jittery. You've got this. Just be yourself—that's what she likes about you. Don't mess this up, Dib!" he thought, trying to calm himself.

He opened the front door and left the house. As he walked to her place, he worried, "Will Tak love my outfit? Stop doubting yourself, Dib! She doesn't care how you dress—she loves you for who you are, not for your looks." He shook off his nerves as he approached her house and knocked on the door.

He didn't hear her yell, "Coming!" But after a few moments, she opened the door. His jaw dropped. She was wearing a tomboy outfit: a black turtleneck, a dark purple blazer, trousers, and black shoes with steel toes. Once he finished taking in her outfit, he looked at her face. She had makeup on but kept her usual hairstyle. She giggled at his stammering and staring.

"Looks like somebody has a blushing problem," Tak teased. Dib quickly shook off his thoughts.

"Hey, I do not! I don't know what you're talking about!" he said, standing up straight to project confidence. She rolled her eyes playfully.

"Well, I have to say, I really love your outfit, Dibby," she said, smirking as she bit her lip. Dib tried his best to keep his composure.

"Yeah, we should probably head to prom now," he replied, swiftly changing the subject.

Tak walked over, grabbed his hand, and said, "Let's go." She then let go and hooked her arm through his, smiling at him. He smiled back, and they began walking together to the school for prom night