5|| The Moment We Met

Thud

Thud.

A silver briefcase landed on the table in front of me.

The room was thick with cigarette smoke, making it hard to breathe.

The gang leader, Ace, spoke in his raspy voice, "Kid, on your way to college, drop this briefcase at this address." He pointed to a small piece of paper with an address scribbled on it.

"Alright. Whom do I have to give it ?" I asked, keeping my eyes on the ground.

"My car will take you to the park in New York City. A white car will be in front of you. A man will come out just give him the briefcase, and that's all," he said.

"Okay," I nodded. I didn't ask more questions; I knew that asking too much could cause trouble.

I got into the car that was supposed to take me to the park. I had no idea what was in the briefcase or what this was all about, but I had to follow their instructions.

We reached the spot. The driver, who was part of our gang, honked five times. Right after, the white car in front of us honked three times.

A man stepped out. He was wearing a plain suit and a mask that covered most of his face, leaving only his eyes visible.

I handed him the briefcase, and he took it without a word, then got back into his car.

I reached for the car door, but the sudden click of the lock stopped me.

“Hey, get home on your own.” He sneered, crossing his arms with a smirk.

“What? It’s miles away. I’ll be late for college,” I protested, trying to sound calm, though my voice wavered.

He laughed coldly, leaning close. “Listen up, I’m not your driver. My job’s done. If you need to get back, figure it out yourself,” he snapped, his tone dripping with disdain.

He turned on his heel, striding away without a second glance.

I stood there, clenching my fists and rubbing my temples in frustration.