When time heals

As I drove through the familiar streets of my old town, the soft glow of streetlights illuminated the path ahead. The quiet hum of the car seemed to mirror my thoughts—calm, but with an undercurrent of something deeper. The day had gone better than I expected, and though the weight of the past still lingered, there was a sense of closure I hadn’t anticipated.

But life was funny like that. Just when you thought you had figured out how to move on, it threw something unexpected your way.

I pulled up to the small inn I was staying at for the night. The town wasn’t big, so there weren’t many options, but I preferred it that way. The simplicity of this place brought a kind of solace. I had booked a room with a view of the hills, remembering how much I used to love watching the sun rise over them as a kid.

As I settled in, I stood by the window, staring at the darkened landscape. There was peace in this stillness, a calm I hadn’t felt in years. For the first time, I wasn’t haunted by the ghosts of what Liam and I had once been. It was strange, how time could both heal and obscure, transforming the sharp pain of lost love into a dull, bittersweet ache.

A soft knock on the door pulled me from my thoughts. I wasn’t expecting anyone, and for a moment, I hesitated before walking over to open it.

To my surprise, it was Sarah.

“Hey,” she said softly, a shy smile playing on her lips. “I hope it’s not too late.”

“Sarah?” I blinked, caught off guard. “What are you doing here?”

She shrugged, glancing down the hallway as if to make sure no one had followed her. “I just… I wanted to talk to you. Can I come in?”

“Uh, sure.” I stepped aside, motioning for her to enter.

She walked in, her hands clasped in front of her, clearly nervous. I closed the door behind her and watched as she turned to face me, her expression uncertain but determined.

“I hope this isn’t weird,” she began, “but I wanted to talk to you alone. There’s something I’ve been meaning to say.”

I raised an eyebrow, my heart starting to race. “Okay.”

Sarah took a deep breath, gathering her thoughts before she continued. “I don’t know the full story between you and Liam. He hasn’t told me much, and I haven’t pushed. But I know there’s history there—more than just what he’s let on.”

Her words hung in the air for a moment, and I could feel my pulse quicken. I wasn’t sure what she was getting at, and I wasn’t entirely sure I wanted to find out.

“But I wanted you to know,” she went on, her voice soft but steady, “that whatever it is, whatever happened between you two, I don’t hold it against you.”

I blinked, caught completely off guard. “What?”

She smiled, but it didn’t quite reach her eyes. “I can see how much you mean to him, Elena. And I know he means a lot to you too. I’m not blind to it.”

I opened my mouth to respond, but the words didn’t come. What could I say to that?

Sarah took another breath, her gaze meeting mine. “But I also know that Liam and I… we’re good together. And I trust him. I love him. So, I guess what I’m trying to say is, I hope you and I can be… friends. Or at the very least, we don’t have to be uncomfortable around each other.”

I stood there, stunned by her honesty, by her grace. Of all the things I had expected from this visit, this wasn’t one of them. And yet, hearing her speak, I realized how much strength it took for her to come here and say this.