Turning toward tomorrow

Two weeks had passed since my meeting with Liam. I had tucked the encounter neatly away in my mind, a chapter finally closed. Life had returned to its usual rhythm—work, friends, and the city I was starting to call home. But one afternoon, while sitting in a café not far from my apartment, I ran into someone I hadn’t expected.

“Elena?” A familiar voice called out, and I looked up to see Sarah, Liam’s ex-girlfriend, standing by my table.

“Sarah?” I replied, surprised. I hadn’t seen her in years, not since I left town. She was always a kind, cheerful person, and I had heard she and Liam started dating not long after I left. I gestured for her to sit, and she did.

I thought that was you,” she said, settling into the chair across from me. “How have you been?”

“Good,” I answered, smiling politely. “And you?”

“I’ve been okay,” she replied, her tone light but with a trace of something underneath. “Moved to the city a couple of years ago, actually. It’s funny running into you here.”

“Yeah, it’s a small world,” I said, wondering where this conversation was headed.

There was a brief pause before Sarah leaned forward slightly, her eyes searching mine. “I saw Liam recently,” she said, her voice soft but clear. “He mentioned you two met up.”

I nodded, unsure of what to say. “Yeah, we did. It was nice catching up.”

She smiled a little, but there was something behind it. “Did he tell you that we’re not together anymore?”

I blinked, caught off guard by her directness. “No, he didn’t mention it,” I replied, curious but cautious. “What happened, if you don’t mind me asking?”

Sarah sighed, playing with the edge of the napkin in front of her. “We broke up about a year ago. Things were good for a while, but eventually, we just grew apart. It was mutual, really. I think we both realized we weren’t right for each other anymore.”

I nodded, understanding more than she knew. “I get that,” I said, and I meant it. Relationships changed, people changed. Sometimes, even when there was love, it wasn’t enough to stay together.

“Liam’s a good guy,” she added after a moment, her tone reflective. “I’ll always care about him, but we both needed to move on. It’s been for the best.”

“I’m glad to hear you’re okay with it,” I said, offering her a small smile. “It’s hard, but sometimes letting go is the only way forward.”

She looked at me, her gaze steady. “I think you know that better than anyone.”

Her words hung in the air, and I felt a small pang of understanding pass between us. We had both loved Liam in our own ways, but we had also both learned to move on. It wasn’t about holding onto the past, but learning how to live beyond it.

“Yeah,” I agreed quietly. “I think I do.”

We chatted for a little while longer, catching up on life and laughing about old memories. There was no awkwardness, no lingering tension. Just two women who had lived through similar experiences and come out stronger on the other side.

When it was time to say goodbye, Sarah gave me a hug, surprising me with the warmth of it. “Take care, Elena,” she said as we parted ways. “Maybe we’ll run into each other again.”

“Maybe we will,” I replied, watching as she walked away.

As I left the café, I felt a sense of peace. Seeing Sarah had been unexpected, but it had given me a new perspective. Liam had been part of both of our lives, but we had each found our own paths.