Little wonders

It had been 48 hours since Buck had last spoken to Eddie -- not that he was counting, just that the silence was suffocating, every passing moment felt fragile as if one wrong move could send everything Buck loved crushing back down. He couldn't shake the weight.

He had spent nearly the entire 48 hours at Maddie and Chimney's house; Chimney was still none the wiser about the baby. To get himself out of his head he spent the past two days helping Maddie prepare meals, they even tried to bake together, Play video games with Chimney or babysit Jee-Yun, her parents have taken full advantage of having another adult in the house. He wasn't complaining, though—more time with his niece meant more chances to secure his spot as the favourite uncle, especially in the ongoing competition with Albert.

But even with Jee-Yun's infectious laughter and the constant activity around the house, Buck couldn't shake the nagging feeling from Eddie's silence. They had a night shift tomorrow where Eddie would have no choice but to face Eddie, he wasn't sure if Eddie pretended everything was fine, or if they continued acting like the other didn't exist and he didn't know which one would be worse. It was 10 pm when Maddie and Chimney returned home from their date.

Jee-Yun had passed out nearly two hours ago, leaving the house quiet. Buck sat at the dining table, scrolling absentmindedly through his phone while nibbling on the cookies he and Jee had made earlier. The sweetness did little to distract him, though, his thoughts still circling back to the silence between him and Eddie.

Maddie exchanged a glance with Chimney as they entered the kitchen, his eyebrows raised in silent question. Buck hadn't said much since he showed up two days ago. Maddie knew something was wrong but was waiting for him to talk when he was ready. She leaned against the counter, crossing her arms as Chimney grabbed a cookie from the tray.

"How was Jee?" Chimney asked casually, taking a bite. "Didn't wear you out too much, did she?"

Buck forced a smile, shrugging. "Nah, she's an angel. We had fun."

Buck stared down at the tea in his hands, swirling the cup absently as if the motion could somehow settle the chaos in his mind. His eyes, though weary, flickered with the same uncertainty he'd been carrying since he walked through Maddie's door. He didn't want to burden her, not with everything else she had on her plate, but sitting here, pretending everything was fine, was starting to feel impossible. The weight of the day—Eddie's need for space, the conversation with Chris—hung between them, thick and heavy. He knew Maddie could see right through him, but still, he hesitated. He wasn't ready to face the truth just yet.

Maddie wasn't buying it. She took a seat across from Buck, her expression serious as she rested her elbows on the table. The silence stretched between them, heavy with everything left unsaid. Finally, she broke it.

"Are you going to speak to him?" she asked, her voice gentle but firm like she was trying to nudge him toward the truth he didn't want to face.

Buck stared down at his hands, fingers wrapped tightly around the mug Chimney had just handed him. The warmth of the tea seeped into his palms, but it did nothing to ease the tension building in his chest.

"I don't know," he admitted, his voice barely above a whisper. "I said I'd give him space. He has to be the one to make the next move." He knew he was repeating himself, trying to convince Maddie, or maybe himself, that he was doing the right thing. But even as the words left his mouth, they felt hollow.

Maddie's eyes softened, but she didn't look convinced. "Buck, you can't just sit around and wait for him to decide everything. This is affecting you too."

Before Buck could respond, Chimney walked back into the room, casting them both a glance as he returned from checking on Jee. He didn't know about the baby, didn't know the full scope of what Buck was dealing with. All Chimney saw was the tension between Buck and Maddie, the kind that came with tough conversations.