Chapter 16

The following weekend, Highcrest Academy was buzzing with energy as the campus prepared for its annual Multicultural Festival. Students from all over the world came together to celebrate their heritage, sharing food, music, and traditions in a vibrant display of cultural pride. Kai had never attended one of these events before, but after hearing his classmates talk about it all week, he decided to check it out.

As he wandered through the various stalls, the air filled with the scent of international dishes and the sound of lively music, Kai felt a bit out of place but curious. He stopped at a booth decorated with bright red lanterns and intricate calligraphy, where a group of students was preparing some kind of traditional Japanese tea ceremony.

That's when he saw her.

Naomi Watanabe.

She stood behind the booth, gracefully handling the tea utensils with a serene expression. Naomi had a certain poise about her, her long black hair neatly tied back in a sleek ponytail. Her focus on the ritual made it seem like she was in another world, fully immersed in the precision of each movement. She wore a simple but elegant yukata, a traditional summer kimono, which added to the air of authenticity at her booth.

Kai found himself watching for a moment, fascinated by how calm and collected she seemed. When the ceremony concluded, the small crowd around her dispersed, and Naomi stepped away from the booth to take a break.

Feeling a bit more confident after his encounter with Sophie, Kai decided to approach her. As she was adjusting her yukata, she noticed him walking up.

"Hi," Kai started, offering a small smile. "That was really impressive."

Naomi blinked in surprise, then smiled softly. "Thank you. The tea ceremony is something I've always been passionate about. It's part of my culture, and I love sharing it with others."

"I could tell," Kai said, leaning against the nearby booth. "You made it look so effortless."

Naomi laughed lightly, her eyes brightening. "I've had a lot of practice. But it's always a little nerve-wracking, even though I've done it many times before."

Kai raised an eyebrow. "Really? You didn't seem nervous at all."

"I guess I've learned how to hide it," she replied with a knowing smile, then tilted her head slightly, studying him. "You're Kai, right? I've seen you around campus."

"Yeah, that's me," Kai nodded. "And you're Naomi? I've heard about you too, through some mutual friends."

Her expression softened, a small blush creeping onto her cheeks. "Well, I hope only good things."

"Definitely," Kai said, chuckling. "So, what are you studying? I'm guessing something that's not tea ceremonies, though you could probably teach a class on that."

Naomi smiled, clearly amused. "I'm actually studying international relations. I'm really interested in diplomacy and cultural exchange. That's why I love events like this."

Kai's eyes widened. "That's pretty cool. So, you're here to build bridges between countries?"

Naomi nodded, her expression turning a little more serious. "That's the idea. There's so much misunderstanding between cultures, and I believe that if we learn to appreciate our differences, we can find more common ground. Events like this are a small step in that direction."

Kai couldn't help but be impressed. Naomi wasn't just someone who went through the motions; she was genuinely passionate about what she was studying, and it showed.

"I like that," he said, nodding thoughtfully. "You're not just here to learn—you want to make a real difference."

Naomi smiled again, this time a little more bashfully. "Well, I'm trying. It's a big world, but we all have to start somewhere."