So Close, Yet So Far

After a thrilling journey through the tournament, India found themselves in the semi-finals facing a formidable South African side. The match was tense, but India's women rose to the occasion and won the semis.

The victory sent the Indian team into the World Cup finals, where the reigning champions Australia awaited. The celebration in the Indian camp was electric, but Smriti knew the job wasn't done yet. Australia would be a far tougher opponent, and she needed to be at her best.

The World Cup Final: India vs. Australia

The day of the final arrived, and the atmosphere at Lord's was electric. India and Australia—two of the biggest teams in women's cricket—were set to face off in what promised to be a nail-biting finale. Australia, having won the toss, elected to bat first on what looked like a flat pitch perfect for scoring.

Australia started strong, with their openers putting up a solid partnership. Despite some good bowling from India's spinners, Australia's top order piled on the runs. Meg Lanning, Australia's captain, played a captain's knock, anchoring their innings with a fluent 92. Some late hitting from their lower order pushed Australia to a daunting total of 279 for 6 in their 50 overs.

Smriti, fielding on the boundary, had been her usual energetic self, but in the 30th over, disaster struck. While diving to stop a boundary, Smriti injured her thumb. She immediately clutched her hand in pain, and the Indian physio rushed to the field. The injury looked serious, and Smriti had to leave the field. The Indian dugout was tense—losing their star player right before a high-stakes run chase was a huge blow.

As India's innings began, the crowd was buzzing with anticipation. But the absence of Smriti at the top of the order was glaring. She was their mainstay, their run-machine, and without her, the pressure on the rest of the batting lineup increased tenfold. Shafali Verma, Smriti's opening partner, tried to take on the Australian bowlers, but nerves seemed to get the better of the Indian top order.

Within the first 10 overs, India had lost three wickets for just 43 runs. The Australian bowlers were on fire, exploiting every inch of the pitch. The Indian dugout grew more anxious by the minute. Fans in the stands and across the world were holding their breath, hoping for a miracle. The collapse continued, with the middle order failing to stabilize the innings. India was reeling at 98 for 5 in the 20th over, and it seemed like the dream of lifting the World Cup was slipping away.

Harmanpreet Kaur, India's former captain, was still at the crease, fighting a lone battle. But with every wicket that fell, the pressure on her increased. Smriti, watching from the sidelines with her thumb heavily bandaged after receiving seven stitches, couldn't stand it any longer. She knew her team needed her. Despite the advice from the team physio and her captain to rest, Smriti made up her mind. She would go out to bat, regardless of the pain, regardless of the injury.

In the 25th over, with India at 123 for 6, Smriti walked out to bat at number 7. The crowd erupted in applause. The Indian fans were filled with hope again. This was their hero, their run machine, walking out to fight through the pain for her team.

The Partnership that Gave Hope

Smriti's entry into the crease instantly shifted the atmosphere. She was cautious at first, taking her time to get settled, mindful of her injury. But Harmanpreet, at the other end, was relieved to have her partner-in-crime out there with her. Together, they started rebuilding India's innings.

The Australian bowlers, sensing that Smriti was in discomfort, tried to test her resolve with short deliveries. But Smriti, despite her thumb injury, began to find her rhythm. Her timing was off initially, but soon, she was driving the ball through the covers with the elegance she was known for. Every boundary she hit brought India closer to the target, and every run chipped away at Australia's dominance.