Chapter 8

Kay lost all humanity that night. She died then, came back to life, grew up in a spare minute, and was left with poor young Aster, now an orphan, with no home nor place to live. She lost not only her family but also her home, her best friend, and everything she knew. It was simply too much for someone to bear on their own, but Kay had no choice...

After she finished dealing with the soldiers, she was in a pitiful state. You couldn't count the bullet wounds on her body, nor the stab wounds and cuts. She also had broken ribs and other small bones because her fighting skills were way too clumsy. She was panting as she looked back to see Aster hiding behind a trash bin. She is trembling in fear, still crying. Frightened he might be injured, Kay dropped the limbs she was holding and ran up to him. Once certain her little Aster is unharmed, Kay picks him up and both return to their home, or what remains of it. On her way, she was shot some more, yelled at by soldiers, and especially she faced Vladimir. Dressed in his eternal crimson suit, he smiled at her. It is that image that keeps Kay's blood hot, bowling. Because he didn't help, didn't attack, he just kept staring, with that mad smile.

Vladimir is a mutant, just like Kay and Aster, but a different one. While Kay and Aster mutated because of that Incident, Vladimir was born a mutant. It is unknown how, but it is a fact. He doesn't age, keeping his young face fresh, ready to manipulate his puppets. Just like he does now. Playing fiercely with her blade, Kay cuts her finger by accident. Seeing blood running on her flesh, she licks it up and sucks the rest of it. Aster arrives soon after, slamming the door, and runs to hide behind Kay's chair. Amused, Kay asks, "The Hell are you doing?" Aster puts his finger on his mouth, signing at Kay to keep it shut, as several female voices. Kay holds in laughter until the ladies disappear. Once the silence comes back and Aster gets out, sighing in relief, Kay cannot hold back and bursts out laughing. "What was that?" the worker asks, still rummaging among the dresses. Out of breath, Aster answers, taking a seat, "The incubus sisters. It was a terrible idea to go train with my new suit." "You mean the super slim one, giving you the attire of a real painting-like goddess?" Aster blushes, turning his face away, as Kay keeps laughing. "Stop bothering him, and go prepare yourself. I found your outfit. Now, turn to Aster." "Wait. What?!" Kay gets up, puts her blades away, grabs the covered outfit, and heads towards the changing rooms, replying to Aster with a smirk, "What did you think puppy face? You're coming with me."

For the rest of the day, Aster and Kay are preparing for this meeting. Knowing what a psychopath Vladimir is, they need to be ready for anything. Once their outfits were selected, the dresser and the Spinarals worked on making the suits war machine-like. Every element of the clothes could be used as a weapon, be it the buttons from Aster's shirt, which are as hard as titanium, able to knock out a middle-aged man, or the metal bars of Kay's corset, which turn into sharp needles, capable of piercing through anything. It isn't a party they are going to, but a battlefield, a minefield ready to explode on them. If they want to survive, to get out of there alive and in one piece, they must not only play the game but adapt. It is Bruce that drives them. He also prepared a seance of dressing including shaving, interminable shower, hairdressing, and tailoring a proper suit. Aster and Kay are to be presented as a young couple of mutants from the Western organization. While Kay is known, probably worldwide, for being an Immortal, Aster is a mystery; no one knows about his ability, nor to what extent it goes, giving him the uncomfortable position under the spotlight.

They arrive at the Tower in the early evening. The sun isn't even set yet. Still seated in the black and elegant Mercedes, both apprehend the moment when they must walk out. Hidden in the shadows of the vehicle, Kay stares relentlessly at the elegant entrance, decorated with magnificent marble stairs and sculptures, flower pots overflowing with colors, a red velvet carpet welcoming the godlike figures, and many security guards dressed in black, guarding the grounds of the Tower. Noticing Kay spacing out, Aster hesitates on his gesture, tending his hand to grab hers. Both are in so unsettling positions. Kay, for the first time in her life, is wearing a shining navy blue corset sleeveless dress with sparkles everywhere. Her hair is immaculately done in a bun tie decorated with a beautiful silver hairpin. Her exhausted eyes have been replaced by sapphires, surrounded by the shadows of paint, and her scars are covered up, almost nonexistent. Even Aster, who has seen Kay in every possible way, is astonished, left gasping without a word behind his tongue. After long seconds of hesitation, Aster finally takes Kay's cold hand in his. Ironically, he is warm, so much so that Kay is startled. Looking at him, she almost seems scared. Aster smiles, with the brightest smile known to the world, saying, "Shall we?" Kay nods, and Aster gets out. She sighed, knowing that Aster probably didn't see it, but Kay had smiled back...

Aster grabs the door handle, takes a deep breath, prepares himself, and pulls the door open. From inside emerges what you would call an illusion, an impossible vision, something you could only dream of seeing, something only imagination can bring. Many of the guests who haven't crossed the doors or the ones close to the windows also witness the show, their jaws dropping to the ground, literally for some. The slim yet well-built figure of a woman gets out. Her pale legs stuck out of her cocktail blue dress, matching her eyes. Her gaze is intense, with a piece of mystery and danger. Her face is exposed, yet covered in light and shadows. Aster, standing beside Kay, is once again unable to act. He's in an internal panic. Kay, noticing, takes his hand in hers and partially hugs his arm, like any lover would do. "It's for the show, don't overthink it.", she whispers. Somewhere deep, Aster is a bit disappointed, but he quickly regains a smiling and confident expression, the mask of a true actor, and both walk ahead towards the entrance.

Meanwhile, in the superior levels, an older man dressed in a black suit observes them intensely. Once the pair is out of sight, inside the house, he turns around, saying, "She is here, my lord. But you won't be pleased to hear that she isn't alone." The older man is facing a big chair, from which only his arms are visible. A sinister laughter rises from the chair as it turns around slowly. "Someone good-looking. Handsome enough to match with her. Isn't he?" "Indeed, sir. Do you happen to know him?" As he asks the question, the chair is now facing the older man. There is sitting Vladimir. Dressed like always, in blood red and snow white, with shining black shoes. In one hand, he has a wine glass, almost empty, and on the other is a small chess piece with which he plays. "Who else is as obedient as you are? Who else is as beautiful as the winter personified? Who else than you, my dear Aster?" "What should we do, sir? His presence will cause problems to the operation." Vladimir's gaze leaves the chess piece between his fingers and is now onto the man, who gulps in fear, a drop of sweat running through his temple. "Make sure we have the supplements. After all, I would love to offer him... The warmest welcoming possible." Snap! The chess piece cracks, head level, and falls onto the blood-red carpet near the blazing fire...