𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐓𝐖𝐎 | 𝐋𝐄𝐎

"You sure this double date is a good idea?" I asked Hughie, side-eyeing him as we sat in the dimly lit bar. "Considering you're dating Starlight just to get information on Vought?"

Hughie scoffed, rolling his eyes. "And what about you stalking Carrie White?" he shot back, sarcasm thick in his voice. "Like, Carrie White—of all people."

My jaw clenched. Carrie wasn't just some girl. She was... dangerous. Special. I wasn't stalking her. It was more complicated than that.

"Look, it's not the same," I muttered. "Carrie's... different. I need to make sure she doesn't end up like the others. You know how Vought is—if they're involved, it's bad news."

"Yeah, and they're involved with Annie too, which is why I'm doing what I have to do. I care about her, Leo, but that doesn't mean I can trust her. We're playing in the same league here."

The bartender came by and dropped two beers on the counter. I took a swig, not quite able to shake the discomfort building in my chest. Hughie had a point, but I wasn't willing to admit it. Not out loud, anyway.

"You keep getting closer to Carrie," he continued. "And eventually, Vought's gonna notice. What's your plan when they come for her? You can't play both sides forever, man."

I looked at him, the weight of everything I was hiding pressing down. Vought was ruthless, and if they ever figured out how important Carrie was, they wouldn't hesitate to use her like they had with all the others. She deserved better. She deserved the truth, but I wasn't sure I was ready to tell her.

"I'm gonna protect her," I said, my voice low but firm.

Hughie raised an eyebrow, a skeptical smile forming on his lips. "Yeah, we'll see how that goes."

I took another sip of my beer, letting the bitter taste fill my mouth as I considered Hughie's words. "You think it's that easy?" I challenged. "Vought doesn't just let go of people. They'll come for her. And if they do, I'll make sure she has a way out."

"But at what cost, Leo?" Hughie leaned closer, his expression serious. "You think you can keep her safe forever? You think they won't notice? You're putting both your lives on the line."

I shrugged, trying to act nonchalant. But deep down, I knew he was right. The stakes were high, and my feelings for Carrie were complicating everything. She was so much more than just a target to me. She was... my anchor.

"We'll figure it out," I said, my voice firmer this time. "We just need to play it smart. I'll keep my distance, but I'll make sure she knows what she's up against."

Hughie sighed, shaking his head. "You're going to end up in over your head. Just remember, no matter how much you care about her, Vought isn't a game. They'll tear you apart if you get in their way."

I nodded, but the weight of his words hung in the air between us. I could feel the uncertainty creeping in, but I couldn't let it take over. Carrie was worth the risk. I needed to believe that.

As the night wore on and the bar filled with laughter and music, I tried to push my concerns aside. But the truth was, I was playing a dangerous game, and with every interaction I had with Carrie, I felt like I was dancing on a tightrope. One misstep, and everything could come crashing down.

The door swung open, and in walked Annie and Carrie. My heart raced. Carrie looked stunning, her hair falling in loose waves around her shoulders. She caught my eye and smiled, and for a moment, everything else faded away.

Hughie nudged me, a knowing grin on his face. "See? It's gonna be fine."

But in the pit of my stomach, I felt a storm brewing. Would I be able to protect her when it mattered most? Or would I lose her to the very monster I was trying to fight?