Part 2: The Weight of Silence

The sun was setting behind the hills when Mamun finally reached the village. The once-familiar path to his home now seemed foreign, overgrown with weeds and time. The cool breeze carried the scent of blooming jasmine, a reminder of the quiet evenings he used to spend with Fahima in the fields. Every step he took toward the village felt heavy, as if the weight of the years apart was pressing down on him.

Mamun's heart raced as he walked past the small market, where familiar faces greeted him with warm smiles. Yet, there was an underlying tension in the air, something unsaid but felt. He hadn't spoken to Fahima in months, but he had heard whispers of her engagement. His heart ached at the thought, but a part of him couldn't believe it. Fahima, his Fahima, wouldn't move on without talking to him first. Would she?

He stopped in front of the old tree where they used to meet. It was where he had promised her he would return—promised that their love would stand the test of time. The memory of their last conversation replayed in his mind.

Flashback: Five Years Ago

"I'll come back for you, Fahima. I promise. Just wait for me a little longer," Mamun had said, holding her hands tightly. His eyes were filled with determination, but Fahima's were brimming with tears.

"Mamun, what if... what if things change?" she had whispered, her voice trembling with fear of the unknown. She had seen too many people leave the village and never return, too many broken promises.

"I won't change. I'll come back for you, and we'll be together. I swear it," he had said, pulling her into a tight embrace. And she had believed him.

But time had a cruel way of testing love.

Mamun sighed as he sat beneath the tree, the weight of his promises crushing him. How had things gotten so complicated? He had left with dreams of making a future for them, but along the way, life had consumed him—university, work, expectations. He had lost himself in the city, and in that time, he had also lost Fahima.

A familiar voice broke through his thoughts.

"Mamun?"

He looked up, and there she was—Fahima, standing a few feet away. She looked just as beautiful as he remembered, but there was something different about her now. Her eyes were guarded, her posture rigid, as if she was carrying the weight of the world on her shoulders.

"Fahima..." Mamun stood, his heart pounding. The words he had rehearsed so many times got stuck in his throat.

They stood there, the silence stretching between them, thick with unspoken words. Finally, Fahima spoke.

"You came back."

Mamun nodded, taking a step closer. "I told you I would."

She looked away, her expression unreadable. "It's been five years, Mamun."

"I know. I... I wanted to come back sooner, but—"

"But life got in the way, right?" she interrupted, her voice tinged with bitterness. She sighed and shook her head. "It doesn't matter anymore."

Mamun felt his heart drop. "It does matter, Fahima. I'm here now. I'm ready to be with you, just like I promised."

Fahima laughed softly, but it was a hollow sound. "And what makes you think I've been waiting? What makes you think you can just walk back into my life after all this time and expect everything to be the same?"

Mamun stared at her, stunned. This wasn't how he had imagined their reunion. In his mind, she would run into his arms, and they would pick up right where they left off. He hadn't considered the possibility that she had moved on—that she had stopped waiting.

"I thought... I thought you still loved me," Mamun whispered, his voice breaking.

Fahima's eyes softened for a moment, but then she turned away, crossing her arms over her chest as if to protect herself from the memories. "I did love you, Mamun. But love isn't enough. I had to keep living while you were gone. I had to make choices for myself."

He took a step closer, desperate. "What choices, Fahima? What are you saying?"

She looked at him, her eyes filled with tears. "I'm engaged, Mamun."

The words hit him like a punch to the gut. He staggered back, his mind reeling. "Engaged? To who?"

"To Sajid. It's what my family wants. What they expect." Her voice was barely above a whisper, as if speaking the words out loud made them more real.

Mamun shook his head, disbelief coursing through him. "But what about us? What about everything we dreamed of? Fahima, you can't marry someone else. You don't love him!"

"Love doesn't matter in the end, does it? Not in the world we live in," Fahima said bitterly. "I waited for you, Mamun. I waited for years, holding onto the hope that you'd come back, that we'd be together. But life doesn't wait. And neither could I."

Mamun felt the tears welling in his eyes. He had lost her, and it was his fault. The distance, the silence, the time they had spent apart—it had all taken its toll.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, his voice trembling. "I'm so sorry, Fahima."

She took a deep breath and wiped her eyes, her voice soft but firm. "It's too late for apologies, Mamun. I'm not the same girl who waited under this tree five years ago. I've had to grow up. I've had to make peace with the choices I've made."

Mamun looked at her, his heart breaking. He had returned too late, and now he was losing her forever.

 He had returned too late, and now he was losing her forever

part 3 camming soon