iv.

even in the dead of night, the slums is blanketed in a somber mood

even in the dead of night, the slums is blanketed in a somber mood. it was a place kinich knew all too well—a labyrinth of crumbling buildings and narrow alleyways. the last place anyone would think to look for a missing princess. the nobles despite anything that's beneath them after all.

they'd found temporary refuge in a dilapidated tavern, the common room mercifully empty. the air reeked of stale ale and damp wood—a far cry from the perfumed luxury of the palace halls. it assaulted the senses, but it was as safe as they could be in a city that was on high alert.

you, however, were less than impressed. standing stiffly, your gloved hands fidgeted beneath his cloak, your gaze darting around the dimly lit room.

"charming," you remarked dryly, your tone laced with sarcasm.

kinich grunted, his eyes constantly scanning the room for any threats. "better than a dungeon cell."

you perched on an old, wooden stool, hesitant to touch anything. the irony wasn't lost on him. he, a man who evaded the law more times than he can count, was now tasked with protecting a princess who looked utterly out of place in the forgotten corners of the city.

"this place is... sad," you murmured, your voice barely audible.

kinich glanced at you, surprised by the note of sadness in your voice. he had expected disgust, maybe fear, but sadness? or was it pity?

"this is just life," he replied, his voice rougher than usual. "people make do."

"but it's not fair," you countered, your eyes fixed on a group of children huddled in a nearby doorway. their clothes were little more than rags, and their hollow eyes followed every movement in the room. they were pale and thin, coughing and vomiting. "they're sick. hungry."

kinich followed your gaze, frowning. the sickness that clung to this part of the city was nothing new to him. it was just another fact of life here.

"life isn't fair. it has never been fair. welcome to the real world, princess," he said flatly, turning back towards you. he was about to suggest you both move when you suddenly shed the hood of his cloak, revealing your face.