A Christmas Miracle

Author POV: 

In the heart of Santa's village, the air shimmered with magic. The streets glistened with fresh snow, candy canes lined the sidewalks, and houses glowed with golden lights. Inside the towering workshop, elves bustled around preparing for the season. But beyond the busy hum, Kim Taehyung sat comfortably on a plush chair in Santa's private office, swinging his legs playfully as he waited for his assignment.

Jimin, leaning against the doorframe with a mischievous grin, watched him. "Bet you'll get another difficult one this year. Santa really likes testing you."

Taehyung threw a glance at his best friend and scoffed. "Please. Who wouldn't fall for my charm?" He gave a little jingle to the bells stitched into his sleeves for emphasis.

Just then, Santa entered, his rosy cheeks glowing, laughter booming. "Taehyung, my boy! Are you ready for your mission?"

Taehyung sat up, grin widening. "Born ready, Santa."

Santa handed him a golden scroll tied with a ribbon. As Taehyung unrolled it, he read the name aloud, frowning slightly. "Kim Jisoo?"

Santa's expression softened. "She lost her parents on Christmas Eve. Since then, she's shut herself off from the world. She hates the holiday and everything it stands for."

Taehyung shifted uncomfortably. "And what am I supposed to do?"

"Remind her what Christmas is about," Santa said kindly. "It's not just pain or memories. It's about love, warmth, and starting over."

Taehyung's grin faltered. This wouldn't be easy. But Santa's gentle encouragement—"Just be yourself"—helped settle the nerves growing in his chest.

With a final nudge from Jimin and the promise of backup cookies from Rose, Taehyung raised his hands, and a swirl of golden dust enveloped him, transporting him straight to his assignment.

Jisoo sat curled up on her couch, staring blankly at the city skyline outside her penthouse window. Lights blinked cheerfully on buildings below, and couples strolled hand-in-hand under falling snow. The joy in the air only deepened the ache in her heart. Christmas had become a cruel reminder of everything she had lost.

She buried herself deeper under her blanket, trying to block out the sounds of Christmas carols drifting up from the streets. It was her fault. Her parents died because of her, and nothing—not time, not therapy, not Jin's well-meaning words—could change that.

Her phone buzzed, and she glanced at the screen. It was Jin. She forced a smile as she answered. "Merry Christmas, oppa."

"Jisoo-ya," Jin's warm voice greeted her. "Are you doing okay?"

She nodded, even though he couldn't see her. "Yeah. I even put up a tree."

"You're such a terrible liar," Jin said softly. "Jisoo, you can't keep doing this."

His words made the ache in her heart tighten. She bit her lip, trying to hold herself together. "It's fine. I'm fine."

"I know you're not." Jin's voice dropped, gentle and knowing. "Mom and Dad wouldn't want you to live like this."

Her throat burned, and she blinked back tears. "I promise I'll try, okay?"

"Just... try to smile once today," Jin said, his tone filled with both love and worry. "Merry Christmas, Jisoo. I love you."

"Love you too," she whispered, ending the call.

The silence in the room pressed down on her, suffocating. She leaned back on the couch, wishing for the millionth time that Christmas—and everything it brought—would leave her alone.