Slow Sunday morning

The sunlight poured softly through the curtains, casting a golden glow across the small, rustic cabin. It was a slow, peaceful Sunday morning, the kind where everything outside seemed to move at half-speed. The birds sang lazily, the trees swayed gently in the breeze, and the world felt like it had hit pause.

Sam lay sprawled across the couch, his arm draped over his face to block out the sun's rays. He mumbled something inaudible, half-asleep, his body sinking deeper into the cushions. Across the room, Colby stood by the kitchen counter, pouring himself a cup of coffee. His hair was tousled from sleep, and he wore one of Sam's oversized hoodies—way too big for him, but he had claimed it as his own long ago.

"You awake yet?" Colby asked, glancing over at Sam with a playful smirk.

Sam groaned softly in response, shifting slightly but making no effort to move. "Barely," he muttered, his voice muffled against the cushion.

Colby chuckled, shaking his head as he took a sip of his coffee. "I'm starting to think you might actually sleep through the entire day."

Sam peeked one eye open and shot him a lazy grin. "Would that be so bad? No ghosts, no cameras, no haunted anything. Just us... and this couch."

Colby leaned against the counter, watching him with a fond smile. "I'm not complaining. It's nice seeing you like this—actually relaxed."

Sam stretched his arms above his head, letting out a content sigh as he sat up slowly. "Yeah, it is. I could get used to this."

He shifted over slightly, making room for Colby on the couch, and without hesitation, Colby joined him, setting his coffee down on the nearby table. The second Colby sat down, Sam pulled him closer, wrapping an arm around his waist. Colby settled in, resting his head on Sam's chest, feeling the steady rise and fall of his breathing.

For a moment, neither of them said anything. The room was filled with the soft hum of the morning, the distant sound of a stream flowing outside the cabin, and the quiet rustle of leaves in the breeze. It was a rare kind of stillness for them—no cameras, no rush to the next location, no haunted places lurking in the shadows. Just them.

"You know," Colby said after a while, his voice low and quiet, "I've been thinking. We should do this more often. Just get away. No work, no stress. Just... be together."

Sam tilted his head slightly to look down at him, a soft smile tugging at his lips. "You mean like this?" he asked, pulling Colby even closer, his fingers absentmindedly brushing through his hair.

Colby closed his eyes, enjoying the closeness. "Yeah, exactly like this."

"I'm down for that," Sam murmured, his voice gentle. "We've been moving so fast lately. Sometimes it's hard to just slow down and... appreciate this."

Colby looked up at him, their eyes meeting in the warm morning light. "I appreciate it. Every second with you."

Sam's smile widened as he leaned down, pressing a soft kiss to Colby's forehead. "I love you, you know that?"

Colby's heart fluttered at the words, though he had heard them before. It never got old. "I love you too," he whispered, his hand resting lightly against Sam's chest, feeling the steady beat of his heart.

For a long while, they stayed like that, wrapped up in each other, the world outside fading into the background. The sun climbed higher in the sky, casting a warm glow over the cabin, but time seemed irrelevant here.

Colby eventually broke the silence with a soft laugh. "I've been thinking, though," he said, lifting his head slightly to look at Sam. "Next time we go on a trip, maybe we do something... less haunted. Like a road trip or something. No ghosts, no creepy abandoned places. Just you, me, and the open road."