Chapter Six

The morning light filtered through the curtains, bathing the room in a soft, golden glow. I felt a gentle nudge at my shoulder, the warmth of a hand pulling me from sleep. I blinked my eyes open, the world coming into focus to find Sam's face hovering above me, her expression soft but concerned.

"Rise and shine, sleepyhead," Sam said, her voice light, trying to ease me into the day. "Come on, let's grab some coffee before we head to campus. It'll make everything a little better."

I blinked, still groggy, the exhaustion of the previous day clinging to me. I nodded, forcing a small smile. "Yeah, okay." My voice was scratchy, and I swallowed, trying to clear it.

Sam gave me a reassuring smile before turning to grab her bag. I pushed myself out of bed, my limbs heavy, my head throbbing. I pulled on the same clothes from the day before, not caring how rumpled they looked. Sam watched me, her eyes lingering on the dark circles under my eyes, the way my hands shook slightly as I adjusted my sweatshirt. She didn't say anything, but I could feel her worry—it weighed down the air between us.

We left the apartment, Sam leading the way to her Honda Civic parked on the street. The engine sputtered to life, and she filled the silence with small talk, her voice a gentle hum that kept me from sinking too far into my thoughts. I tried to respond, to keep up with her energy, but it felt like I was moving through water, every word a struggle. The exhaustion from the anxiety, from everything,00 had settled deep in my bones, making every movement feel sluggish. It was like I was wading through mud.

When we reached the coffee shop, the warmth and the scent of freshly brewed coffee washed over me. It was familiar, comforting, something normal in the chaos my mind had become. Sam ordered for both of us, her smile bright as she handed me my cup. "Here you go," she said, her tone almost too cheerful. "This should help."

I took the cup, wrapping my hands around it, the warmth seeping into my skin. "Thanks," I murmured, my voice barely audible. The cup was hot, almost scalding, but I liked the feeling—it was something tangible, something that grounded me in the present moment.

Sam studied me for a moment, her smile softening. "You ready to head to campus?"

I nodded, taking a sip of the hot coffee, the bitter taste grounding me, pulling me back from the edge of the anxiety that had settled in my chest. "Yeah. Let's go."

Class dragged on, the minutes stretching into hours, the professor's voice a dull hum in the background. I stared at my phone, Kenny's message open on the screen, the words blurring together as I read them over and over again.

"Hey. Are you okay?"

The question felt heavy and I didn't know how to answer it. Was I okay? The truth was, I wasn't. I was barely holding it together, barely managing to keep my head above water. My heart pounded, my fingers trembling as I typed out a response. I paused, my thumb hovering over the send button.

"Can we talk?"

I hit send before I could change my mind, my heart racing as I watched the screen, waiting. The response came quicker than I expected, my phone buzzing in my hand. I opened the message, my heart in my throat.

"Of course. When are you free?"

Relief and dread washed over me in equal measure, my stomach twisting. I typed out a quick response, my hands shaking.

"Tonight, at 10. The park next to my apartment?"

I needed the control. I needed to be able to leave if it got too hard. The park was neutral ground, somewhere open, somewhere I wouldn't feel trapped.