Chapter Seven

Everything was different this time. The faceless man stood far away, his silhouette blurred against the darkened landscape. I was bound to my bed, unable to move, my body feeling heavy. The air was thick, almost suffocating, and a dark energy seemed to radiate from him, chilling me to my core. I shivered, my eyes locked on him, unable to look away.

He chuckled, the sound low and sinister, reverberating through the emptiness. He didn't move closer, didn't need to. His voice echoed, deep and haunting, as he spoke.

"No one will ever be here for you like I am. I am the only one who understands you."

The words sent a jolt through me, the chill spreading from my chest down to my fingertips. The darkness around him seemed to grow, enveloping everything, until there was nothing but his voice reverberating in my mind. My heart ached, a hollow pain that seemed to cut through me. And then—I woke up.

I gasped, sitting upright in bed, my heart racing, my body covered in cold sweat. The room was dark, the early morning light just beginning to seep through the curtains. My heart pounded in my chest, the echoes of the faceless man's voice still ringing in my ears.

I pulled my knees up to my chest, resting my forehead against them as I tried to steady my breathing. I thought of Kenny—how he had looked at me with such sincerity, how he had told me he was there if I needed him. My chest tightened, the conflicting emotions gnawing at me. Was my subconscious trying to tell me something? The faceless man's words felt like a taunt, a reminder that no one could ever truly understand me, no matter how much they said they did.

A shiver ran down my spine, a wave of nausea rising in my stomach. I wanted to skip my classes, to stay here in the safety of my room, away from everything. My body felt heavy, my limbs weak and pained. I leaned back against the headboard, closing my eyes for a moment, trying to gather myself.

A buzz from my phone pulled me from my thoughts, the screen lighting up with a new message from Sam. I reached over, my hand trembling as I picked up the phone. The message made my stomach twist.

"Hey, just wanted to check in. Have you been taking your meds?"

I stared at the words, my breath catching in my throat. A pang of guilt shot through me, my chest tightening. I hadn't taken my meds since Saturday, and I knew I should have. I knew it would help—it always did. But the thought of swallowing those pills made me feel sick, like I was admitting that I couldn't handle this on my own.

My fingers hovered over the keyboard, and I typed out a quick response.

"Yeah, I have. Thanks for checking in."

The lie felt like a weight, sinking deep in my chest. I tossed my phone aside, standing on shaky legs and making my way to the bathroom. The pill bottles sat on the counter, a silent reminder of what I was supposed to do. I stared at them, my reflection in the mirror looking back at me—pale, tired, empty.

I wanted to take them. I wanted to push away the anxiety, the fear, the overwhelming sense of hopelessness. But the mere thought of it made my stomach turn, made me want to vomit. Without thinking, I grabbed the bottles and twisted off the caps, pouring the pills down the sink. I watched them disappear, the water washing them away until there was nothing left.

My hands were shaking, my breathing uneven. The apartment felt too small, too confining, and I needed air. I needed to get out. I grabbed my jacket, slipping on my shoes as I headed out the door, the cool morning air hitting me as I stepped outside. I took a deep breath, the cold biting into my skin, the weight in my chest easing slightly.

I walked aimlessly, my feet carrying me through the streets without any particular destination. The city was slowly coming to life, the noise and movement around me a comforting distraction from the chaos in my mind. As I walked, my eyes landed on a dispensary, the bright sign catching my attention. I stopped, my gaze lingering on the entrance, the thought of walking in crossing my mind. I had my ID with me. It would be easy, just one small step back into old habits. My heart pounded, my body itching for something—anything—to take the edge off.