Four

Calum Hood. That's his name! It only took me a whole day. On the way to the lunch room I spotted Sam by me. I walked over to him and said abruptly. "What's the Australian's name?"

"Which one?" He lifted an eyebrow and smiled as he asked. Was he teasing me?

"The only Australian friend you have?" I'm confused. He must find this funny.

"Luke and Calum are both Australian." He states. He's giggling at me, is it that hilarious I didn't know that? We reach the table and as he's sitting down I tell him

"I didn't know Luke was Australian."

"Oh so Calum was the one you didn't know the name of." He tips his head up and back down as if he's understanding it all now.

"Wait, how ironic is it that two guys from Australia moved here on the same year and became friends?" I ask him.

"Calum's parents are Luke mom's boss. They both moved here for work. Calum and Luke have grown up together so they've always been friends." He explains. Okay it makes more sense now. I wonder how Calum can even put up with Luke. I know Calum said Luke was just upset about a family issue but I have English with this guy. He always looks mad. I didn't notice we even shared a class until we had a sub yesterday and she had to take roll aloud. Luke was absent, I'm guessing he left after what happened at lunch. Probably embarrassed about it all. I know I would be.

After getting my answers from Sam I head to English. Calum had to cancel on lunch today since he had an emergency soccer meeting. No idea they even had those. I didn't want to spend lunch with the two love birds because I figured they'd rather have me not there anyway, just too polite to tell me.

The classroom door was open so I walked in and took my seat. Not even Mr. Mason was here yet.

I did most the prologue assignment last night since Mr. Mason gave us an extra day to do it. It totally sucks but maybe he only grades for effort. In that case he better give me at least a B. I may look like a slacker but I'm actually really keen on getting good grades. I usually have all As except for English. I don't know why I struggle so bad.

Mr. Mason walks in a bit before the bell rings for lunch to end. He is walking very slow, like he is tired. I think he was out sick yesterday. His eyes see me and he immediately straightens up and gives his best "Hello!"

I guess he doesn't like to look bad in front of students? That's an admirable quality to have. Most teachers will show up in sweats and not have any idea what the lesson plan is for the day. Mr. Mason always dresses nice and tries his best to impress.

"What brings you here so early Ms. Thatcher?" He says in a very sarcastic tone.

"Oh just eager to learn! You know me." I return with the sarcasm and he laughs a bit. We both smile and look into each other's eyes. I half expect him to say something about it or walk away but we just continue as we are. Until the bell rings, which didn't take long. Once the bell rung he does a quick turn and scurries to his desk. That was a bit awkward. What even was that? Were we just admiring each other or caught up in the moment? I had no clue but I don't want that to happen again.

-

Arriving at home alone. Again. I walk to the kitchen and take some chips out of the cabinet. Lays, that's all we have left. I still haven't left a note for my mom to buy food. Turning around I pull out the sticky note pad and scribble

Need to go grocery shopping! We are out of everything.

I stick it on the fridge and head upstairs. I have loads of homework to do for tomorrow. Might as well get it down now since I have nothing else to do. I start with Math.