chapter ʚɞ three

Nate slipped through Emory's window, his presence like a spark igniting the atmosphere in her dimly lit room. The moonlight spilled in, casting soft shadows on the walls as he landed quietly beside her, a playful grin lighting up his face.

"What are you doing here?" she whispered, her heart racing at the thrill of his surprise.

"Rescuing you from your boring thoughts," he teased, leaning back against her pillows, the fabric rumpling beneath him. "Can't let you languish alone in your palace of solitude."

Emory felt a rush of warmth at his words, mixed with a slight apprehension. Her parents could wake up at any moment, and the thrill of being caught sent butterflies fluttering in her stomach. "You know my parents could wake up and catch you, right?" she said, trying to sound dismissive but unable to hide her excitement.

"Let them. I'm not afraid of your dad," Nate shot back, his tone light and teasing. "Besides, it's worth the risk to see you."

As she shifted closer, tucking herself into his side, Emory felt an electric current pass between them. Her cheeks flushed, and she could hardly meet his gaze. "You're insane," she murmured, sneaking glances at him. The way he looked so effortlessly charming made her heart race.

"Maybe. But I'd say I'm the luckiest insane person in the world," he replied, his eyes softening as he glanced down at her. "What's a little danger when you get to be with the most amazing girl?"

Emory felt a flutter in her stomach at his compliment, a rush of nerves mixed with joy. "You're just saying that because you snuck in here," she joked, but her voice trembled slightly, betraying her nervousness.

"Just admit it, you love my charm," he said, a playful glint in his eye. Before she could respond, he leaned in, capturing her lips with his in a soft, tentative kiss. The warmth of his lips ignited a fire within her, making her forget everything outside that room.

"Okay, maybe I do," she breathed, pulling back slightly, her heart racing. "But that doesn't mean I'm going to let you get away with sneaking in here whenever you feel like it."

Nate chuckled, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear, his fingers lingering against her skin. "What can I say? I'm a rebel at heart. Plus, I can't resist this view." He gestured around the room, but his gaze was locked onto hers, filled with sincerity that made her heart swell.

"You're ridiculous," she said, shaking her head, trying to hide her smile. The way he looked at her made her feel like the most special person in the world.

"Ridiculously in love with you," he countered, his voice lowering to a soft murmur. "I just want to be near you."

Emory felt her breath catch at his words, a warmth spreading through her. "I feel the same way," she admitted, her cheeks heating up. "It's just... sometimes I can't believe it's real."

"Believe it," he said softly, brushing his thumb across her cheek. "You deserve all the love in the world, and I want to be the one to give it to you."

Her heart raced as he held her gaze, the intensity of his affection leaving her breathless. "You really mean that?"

"Absolutely," he replied, leaning in closer, his lips brushing against hers again in a kiss that sent a jolt through her. She melted against him, her fingers instinctively tangling in his hair as she kissed him back, pouring every bit of her affection into the moment.

Nate's hands found their way to her waist, pulling her closer, as if he wanted to merge their bodies together. Emory felt the heat radiating between them, igniting every nerve ending. "You make me feel things I never knew I could feel," he murmured against her lips, his breath warm and inviting.