Chapter 13: The Shift

The revelation about Caleb's time travel hung between them like a silent weight. Chloe sat across from him, her mind racing, trying to process everything he had just confessed. Caleb had been there, too—caught in the same impossible twist of fate. He had watched her fall before, and now, he was here to help her fight back.

But could they really change things? Could they outmaneuver Rachel and undo all the damage she had caused?

"Together." Chloe repeated the word as if testing how it felt on her tongue. She had always been so used to going at it alone, but now, with Caleb at her side, the idea of working together gave her hope.

Caleb nodded. "We'll be smarter this time. I know the choices we made before. We just have to make different ones."

"But how?" Chloe's voice was laced with uncertainty. "We can't just rewrite everything. I still don't even fully understand how this all happened."

Caleb took a deep breath and sat back. "I don't have all the answers either. But I do know that every small decision we make from here on out matters. We can't go back to how things were before. You can't let Rachel get to you again, and I..." He hesitated for a moment, "I need to stop wasting time."

Chloe felt a pang of curiosity. "What do you mean by that? You've been doing more than I ever thought you did around the office."

Caleb chuckled, but there was no real humor in it. "That's because I wasn't doing anything before. Not really. I was just there, coasting by, not caring about what happened. But then I saw what Rachel did to you, and everything changed. I don't want to be that guy anymore."

Chloe studied his face, the lines of tension around his eyes, the raw honesty in his voice. For the first time, Caleb wasn't just the laid-back, easygoing guy she had known. He was someone with purpose.

"Rachel doesn't know we're working together," Caleb continued. "We can use that to our advantage. You've already made a huge impression with your work on the rebranding project. Keep doing that. I'll handle the background stuff."

"What do you mean by background stuff?" Chloe raised an eyebrow.

"I can get information," Caleb said, his voice lowering conspiratorially. "Rachel thinks she has all the leverage, but she's underestimating how much I can find out. I'll watch her moves, keep track of what she's planning."

Chloe hesitated. "That sounds risky."

Caleb gave her a reassuring smile. "It's less risky than letting her destroy you again."

For a moment, silence settled over the café, broken only by the faint clinking of cups and the murmur of distant conversations. Chloe's mind was swirling with possibilities, but one question lingered at the forefront.

"What if we fail?" she asked quietly. "What if no matter what we do, things still go wrong?"

Caleb reached out, this time not hesitating to place his hand over hers. "Then at least we'll know we tried. And we won't make the same mistakes again."

His touch was warm, grounding her in the moment, and for the first time in weeks, Chloe felt a sense of calm wash over her. Maybe this time, things really could be different. Maybe, with Caleb by her side, they could rewrite the future.

The Next Day

Chloe stepped into the office with a renewed sense of determination. She had spent most of the night thinking about Caleb's words. His revelation had shaken her, but now that she wasn't alone in this, a small part of her felt lighter. She wasn't just fighting for herself anymore. Caleb was in this with her, and they had a plan.

Her thoughts were interrupted when she spotted Rachel standing near the entrance, speaking to Adrian. The sight of them together still caused Chloe's stomach to churn, but this time, instead of feeling helpless, she felt a surge of resolve. She wouldn't let Rachel get the upper hand again.

Adrian caught her eye and gave her a subtle nod as he finished up his conversation with Rachel. Rachel turned slightly, catching Chloe's gaze, and a smirk tugged at the corner of her lips. But Chloe didn't flinch. She wouldn't give Rachel the satisfaction of seeing her rattled.

"You're looking more confident these days," Rachel said smoothly as Chloe approached. "I suppose the pressure of the rebranding project hasn't hit you yet."

Chloe smiled, keeping her voice steady. "The project is challenging, but I'm managing just fine. Thanks for your concern, Rachel."

There was a flicker of something in Rachel's eyes—surprise, maybe—but she quickly masked it. "Good. I'd hate to see you overextend yourself again."

Chloe didn't miss the veiled jab, but she refused to rise to it. Instead, she nodded and walked past Rachel toward her desk, her heart pounding but her head held high.

Later That Day

Chloe had been buried in research for most of the afternoon when her phone buzzed with a text from Caleb.

Caleb: Found something. Meet me on the rooftop at 7.

She stared at the message, her pulse quickening. Caleb must have uncovered something important. Whatever it was, it couldn't wait. She finished up her work and made her way to the rooftop, her mind racing with questions.

When she stepped outside, the cool evening breeze hit her, and she saw Caleb standing by the railing, staring out over the city. He turned when he heard her footsteps, his expression serious.

"What is it?" Chloe asked, joining him by the railing.

"I've been digging into Rachel's connections," Caleb said, his voice low. "She's been pulling strings behind the scenes—sabotaging projects, manipulating people. She's more dangerous than we thought."

Chloe's stomach dropped. "What do you mean?"

Caleb pulled out his phone and showed her an email chain he had intercepted. It was between Rachel and a high-level executive in another company, detailing a plan to undermine Adrian's rebranding project. Chloe's name was mentioned several times.

"She's trying to sabotage you," Caleb said, his jaw tight. "And she's using outside connections to do it."

Chloe stared at the screen, her hands shaking. This wasn't just office politics anymore. Rachel was playing a far more dangerous game, one that could ruin both her and Adrian's careers.

"What do we do?" Chloe whispered.

Caleb's eyes met hers, his expression resolute. "We fight back. We expose her."

Chloe's breath caught in her throat. This was it—the turning point. The moment where they would either take control of their fate or watch everything fall apart again.

"We'll do it," Chloe said, her voice steady despite the fear gnawing at her insides. "We'll stop her."

Caleb smiled, a fierce glint in his eyes. "Then let's get to work."