Chapter 2

When I got up the next morning my dad was already gone. I folded up the blanket and pillow I'd slept  on the night before and grabbed I pear of jeans and a green shirt. I brushed out my brown hair with my fingers and throw it up in a ponytail, grabbed my head phones, then headed down stairs. 

My dad had left a breakfast bar on the kitchen counter and a note. I grabbed the bar and opened it with my teeth, while simultaneously reading the note.

"Hey, May-Bell, I hope you slept well. I wanted to let you sleep a little longer. Get everything you can out of the truck and I'll be back later to help you get what you can't."

I all felt so familiar, my dad and I moving into a new house, unpacking, sleeping without a bed. I done it so many times before. I swallowed the rest of the breakfast bar and put my head phones on. Blasting classical, because, in my father's words, "I should be well rounded." I put on a pair of sneakers and headed outside.

Shielding my eyes from the sun, I made my way over to the truck. I started unloading the boxes and carrying them inside. Five boxes and twenty minutes later I see a sleek black car pull up to the front of the only other house for a few yards across from me. I put the box down and leaned against the truck, taking my head phones off. I wanted some neighborhood drama, seeing as me and my dad had only ever lived in apartments.

First a woman wearing a black suit and her hair down in loose curls got out of the passenger's side. Then a man in a navy colored suit, with buzzed cut brown hair gets out of the driver's side. 

"Ronnie, is this a joke?" The man asked the woman, now identified as Ronnie.

"No, Tanner, it is not." She replied to Tanner crisply.

Tanner laughed, "a serial kil-" he turned and saw me. I gave him a wave and had to hide my smirk. People were really bad at noticing things that didn't matter to them. The woman was the first to recover.

"Did you just move in?" She asked, her voice almost as tight as her face.

"Yep, last night." 

"Well, that's great. Happy moving." Tanner said.

The two headed up the stairs and I continued on with the classical music and moving boxes.