Chapter 1- The war

War had arrived. Blood spilled everywhere. My army coat was soaking with blood from the fallen soldiers. My closest friends. All gone in a blink of an eye. I felt warm tears trickle down my cheeks. Suddenly, I heard a gunshot.
"W-who got shot?" I asked as I stumbled towards the violent sound.
It all happened like a blur after. An army of soldiers rushed past me, with worried looks on their faces. We couldn't lose more men. If we did, the war was lost. Finally, I stumbled across the bloody body. It was a blonde-haired girl with a wound in her left abdomen. Suddenly, a memory struck me like lightning.

When I was young, we had been close friends. Although I was timid and shy, she was bubbly and always charismatic. No one really knew why she had chosen me as her friend.
"Ellis Bree and Gabbie Summers? Pah! Complete opposites." Her mother used to say.
I was always the shunned one. No one cared about me, except Gabbie. She was the only person who made me feel loved. I don't know what I would do without her.

As I saw her dreamy blue eyes filled with tears of sadness and anguish, my heart throbbed painfully. Would she even live? I closed my eyes forcefully, I was going too far.
Suddenly, Gabbie whispered weakly, "Ellis. I w-want to talk to Ellis."
I was stunned, but I hurriedly kneeled down to her. It was even harder for me to see her closer. Her breathing was shallow, but her heart still pulsed. I heard another bullet blast, but I ignored it.

"Someone! Pass me the aid kit, she needs my help!" I yelled with all my might.
After the kit was clenched safely in my hands, I fumbled to wrap the bandages around the wound. The war was still ongoing around us, but all my focus was on Gracie. I needed her.
"Without you, I would already be gone." Gracie whimpered softly and said, "Thank you, thank you, Ellis,"
I smiled at her. After that, I carried her to our healing bay.

It was a decently large tent with a sea of bodies; harmed or dead. I clenched my fist and my face became red. It was all because of the Rhians. They started this war. Calming down, I brought Gracie to a bed next to another friend I knew.
"Are you feeling better, Jazz? " I asked.
Jazz was a cool person, about the same age as Gabbie and I. We used to be a trio, although it didn't work that well. Jazz became closer with her music instruments than us. Every time we hung out, she never came and instead practiced her electrical guitar. Enough about Jazz, I thought. It had been ages since I had been betrayed by her.

The medical nurse came with a frown. As I studied her closer, her eyes had large eye bags and her lips had become pale. It was probably because of how much responsibility she had on her shoulders, I thought profusely. The nurse quickly attended Gracie delicately.
"You can go now dear," the nurse suggested.
I went out the battlefield, with bullets whizzing around me at the speed of light.

I grabbed a pistol next to me and unloaded. I winced. I hated shooting people, my parents had signed up for this. I wasn't even supposed to be in the army. It was supposed to be my older brother. He was just the favorite child, I was always the shunned one.

Soon, it was turning into dusk and everyone retreated to their base camps. My base camp was shared with Gracie and Jazz, but both had been wounded so I 'slept' alone. I tossed and turned all night, and in the end I sneaked out. I breathed in dusty air, filled with either smoke or bullets. In the distance, I saw the enemy's camp roasting warm marshmallows. My stomach instantly rumbled and a hint of jealousy tinged me. I had never gotten any patisseries or sweet treats from my family. We were too unfortunate to even afford one.

Then, my eyes found something. It was a sheet of parchment. However, it was above bounds, if I went there, I was in danger of being caught or killed by the Colonel. I sweated while I made a choice.

I went.