Pakistan's release Noman Ali and Zahid Mahmood from the squad

The media manager for the Pakistan team revealed to Cricbuzz that on the opening day of the first Test match between Pakistan and England in Multan. Leg-spinner Zahid Mahmood and left-arm orthodox Noman Ali were cut from the team.

Mahmood was a late addition to Pakistan's squad, making him the 16th player. The lineup was only confirmed for the first Test match. One day after Pakistan revealed their squad of 15 players for the first Test, the leg-spinner was added. In his two Test matches, which he played in December 2022 during England's final tour of Pakistan. He grabbed 12 wickets in four innings.

Up to the previous year, Ali was a consistent member of the Pakistani team. Due to severe appendicitis, he was forced to return home from Australia. Before to the commencement of Pakistan's Test tour in December of last year. He was left out of the 17-player team for the two Tests against Bangladesh in August and September.

Noman Ali and Zahid Mahmood

Pakistan had reduced their team to 15 players and added Noman Ali in lieu of Khurram Shahzad, who was injured. Shan Masood had mentioned before this series that Pakistan has chosen to have a smaller squad size in order to ensure that every player receives the appropriate attention from the support staff.

The move, however, leaves Pakistan with only three reserves players – Mohammad Huraira, Sarfaraz Ahmed, and Mir Hamza – with limited alternatives in case they require concussion substitutions.

After suffering a relapse from acute appendicitis in December of last year, Noman Ali, a mainstay in Pakistan's Test team, had to return home before of the Australia tour. Moreover, he was left out of Pakistan's 17-man team for the Test match against Bangladesh earlier in the year. Before the England series. He rejoined the team in lieu of Khurram Shahzad. Who was injured.