22

Atlas dragged me back to his room. Apparently his bed is much bigger than mine. In the middle of it we sit with me in between his legs. Captain America: Civil War plays on his flat screen. Anyone outside looking in would think we're the picture of domesticated bliss. Boy would they be wrong. Not even a full twenty-four hours ago he was spewing threats at me left and right.

Any sane person that would bother them, it should bother me. From this whole adventure I have concluded that I am just as dark and twisted as him. He isn't the good guy, no, but he is just and fair. Without even trying he speaks life into me. The more time we spend together the more my layers seem to shed. My impulses and all of what I used to push down is starting to surface. Unlike the other men and women in my life who have let me down, he's only peeled back the facade of the person I pretend to be.

"Whose side are we supposed to take again?" He asks for the second time.

"Tony's" His silence lets me know he doesn't realize who that is. "Iron Man." I pinch his thigh.

Atlas hasn't watched any Marvel movies. When he told me that I almost passed out. How he has never seen any Marvel is totally and completely beyond me. This was my entire childhood between this Superhero Universe and my books. This was the epitome of what I had. Many nights I cuddled myself in my favorite blanket with popcorn that had lots of butter on it. The days became less lonely when I was watching Iron Man flying atop of STARK Tower. At the time I really believed I could become whatever I wanted. There was hope. From that hole sparked dreams that I have given up on. Secret desires that I've kept closed in my chest.

Originally I thought we'd discuss my findings. Let me just say, Czar is playing with fire. Atlas is going to chew him up, spit him out, then scatter him in the woods with the wolves. Jasper Costa, if he knew what was good for him he'd stay far from Czar and Chicago altogether.

When we got to his bedroom he had other plans. Movies, snacks, and no talk of business. Executively he decided we all earned the day off, that was his excuse for ignoring the entire reason we're in Vegas. I would be a liar if I pretended I wasn't all too thrilled about his idea. Spending real quality time with him was entirely too tempting to pass up. Deciding to be selfish for once I happily climbed into the middle of his bed.

"Pinch me again Nile and I'll have to pinch you back." A shudder rips through me at his gruff tone. "Why are we on his side again? It seems the blonde made the better decision for the team. I don't get it."

"He lied about who killed his parents." I exclaim. "That's not what it's about. The Avengers running around without restraints causes problems."

"So?" He shrugs still not understanding the depth of the repercussions. "My grandfather has lied about my father's death my entire life. The issues they cause are minimal compared to what they save them from." He shrugs. Yet, I am still stuck on the first part of his response.

"What do you mean by that?" Silence surrounds us, all I can feel is the beat of his heart. When I turn around in another attempt to gain his attention he is engulfed in the movie. "Atlas."

"Huh?" He mumbles, pulling me back into him.

"What do you mean your grandfather has been lying about your father's death?"

"They told me he died in a car accident." He sighs. "I know my Papa either had him killed or killed him himself."

"Why would he do that?" Even I can hear the shock in my voice. I mean it is a surprising thing to say to someone. The fact that he is so nonchalant about it makes it worse. What kind of childhood did this man have? Obviously it wasn't one of roses but more thorns. Still I didn't expect it to be this tumultuous.