Chapter 3 - Echoes of Repentance

“Why did you do this?” I growled, my voice was trembling as grief and rage churned inside me, my soul was heavy with the weight of his betrayal.

“Are you here to avenge my mother?” I asked, but his response was a twisted laugh that echoed through the chamber like a mocking thunderclap.

"You know nothing, my grandson."

"Did you really think you were in control?" he hissed, his eyes gleaming with malice, as if he was delighted in watching me unravel.

“From the moment your father and mother wed, to their ultimate ruin—it was all my doing,” he said, his words dripping with arrogance.

What is he saying?

"But it didn’t go exactly as I planned," he continued. "Your foolish mother defied me, and conspired with your weak father to overturn my schemes. They were pretty successful"

I was caught in the current of his words.

What is this nonsense is he spouting?

“I hid in the shadows, biding and waiting for my time. “

“When you were born, I threatened them that their disobedience would cost them your life.”

“But I underestimated them—they sacrificed everything to shield you and the empire from my grasp.”

Sacrifice? For me?

“Still, I didn’t foresee the opportunity falling into my lap when you came knocking at my door,” he said, his lips curling into a sinister grin.

Is this all because of him? The pain? The torment?

“You carried out my plan better than I could have dreamed. The poison I fed you, really worked well. It perfectly dulled your senses.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

“They thought that with your father’s death, would be a way for them to have me in the corner, but his gambit only fanned the flames of your rage. You blamed your mother, the one person who stood between me and the throne, and killed her.”

What?

His laughter rose again, a vile sound, echoing like a death knell in the halls.

“Killing your mother solved one of my greatest obstacles, my grandson.”

What are you talking about?

His eyes shone with madness.

“Do you think it was a coincidence that the Northern Emperor offered his daughter’s hand to you?” he asked, with a voice steeped in dark amusement.

“They were my allies. The princess you were supposed to marry was meant to be my spy, watching your every move, in order to make a plan and find a perfect moment to strike and take your throne.” 

“But you—you derailed that plan when you killed the Northern Emperor with your fits of insanity. I couldn’t believe that you use that and even take the whole continent.

“How amazing of you.”

I was drowning in a tide of confusion and awe. 

“I thought my plans were ruined. But you—your own tyranny became my greatest ally. You destroyed yourself,  and brought down your own empire’s people with your cruel reign.” His laughter was relentless, chilling the air.

“And now,” he sneered, “you’ve gifted me the perfect opportunity. Killing you today will cast me as the hero who saved the empire from the tyrant’s rule. The people will celebrate and will praise me for freeing them.”