Chapter 48: So This Was a Date, Then, Right?

Estelle's heart raced as she sat across from Celeste, the tension between them thick in the air. Every glance, every word spoken during dinner had felt like it carried more meaning than either of them was willing to acknowledge out loud. As the conversation quieted down and the plates were cleared from the table, Estelle found herself caught in a whirlwind of emotions. The vulnerability they had shared was real, but now something else lingered—an undeniable undercurrent of attraction.

Estelle hesitated for a moment, her mind spinning, before she finally decided to speak. "So... this was a date then, right?" she asked, her voice quieter than she intended, but filled with a vulnerability she couldn't mask.

Celeste, who had just been reaching for her glass of wine, paused. Her sharp blue eyes flicked up to meet Estelle's, a small smile tugging at the corner of her lips. She set the glass down deliberately, leaning back in her chair, her gaze never leaving Estelle's.

"Do you need a label for everything, Estelle?" Celeste's voice was teasing but had that familiar edge, the one that sent a thrill down Estelle's spine.

Estelle's cheeks flushed, her heart thudding louder in her chest. "I—well, no, but..." She struggled to find the words, feeling suddenly foolish for asking. But she had to know. This entire evening had felt different—more personal, more intimate—and she couldn't just let it pass without knowing what it meant.

"But you want clarity," Celeste finished for her, that knowing look in her eyes as she leaned slightly forward, her voice softer now. "I understand. I'm not surprised."

Estelle swallowed hard, unsure of what to say next. The teasing tone was still there, but Celeste's gaze had shifted—there was something more serious lurking beneath her words. Estelle felt like she was on the edge of something, and Celeste was making her wait, testing her patience.

Celeste finally leaned back again, her eyes gleaming with amusement. "Alright, Estelle," she said, her voice lilting. "If it'll make you feel better—yes. This was a date."

Estelle's breath caught. She had suspected it, felt it in the way Celeste's words carried more weight tonight, but hearing her say it out loud sent a jolt of something electric through her. Her heart fluttered with a mixture of surprise, relief, and something else she couldn't quite place.

A small laugh escaped her lips before she could stop it, a combination of nerves and disbelief. "I didn't expect you to actually say it."

Celeste raised an eyebrow, her smirk deepening. "I don't play games when it comes to things like this, Estelle. I thought you'd know that by now."

Estelle bit her lip, her mind racing to catch up. "But why now? I mean, you're my professor. And my boss."

Celeste's gaze didn't waver. "Because we both know there's something between us. And I've never been one to deny what I want."

The boldness of Celeste's words left Estelle breathless, her mind spinning. There had always been tension—unspoken, simmering just beneath the surface—but now it was all laid bare. Celeste wasn't hiding behind her usual enigmatic demeanor anymore; she was being direct, honest. And it was terrifyingly thrilling.

Estelle swallowed, her voice shaky as she spoke. "And what is it that you want?"

Celeste's smile turned into something darker, more dangerous, her eyes locking onto Estelle's with an intensity that made her pulse quicken. "You."

The single word sent a shockwave through Estelle, her entire body reacting to the weight of Celeste's admission. Her breath caught in her throat, and for a moment, she didn't know how to respond. The charged air between them seemed to pull tighter, wrapping them in a shared understanding.

"I've been careful," Celeste continued, her voice smooth but filled with something more, something vulnerable. "But I think we're past that now. Don't you?"

Estelle felt like she was standing at the edge of a precipice, and all it would take was one step to fall. She had always been drawn to Celeste—the way she commanded a room, the way her words could make Estelle's pulse race—but now, with the truth laid out between them, the attraction was undeniable.

"I think so," Estelle finally whispered, her voice barely above a breath.

Celeste leaned forward then, her eyes never leaving Estelle's. "Then I won't hold back any longer. I want you to understand exactly where we stand."

Estelle's heart raced, the room around them fading into the background. All she could focus on was the intensity in Celeste's gaze, the way her words seemed to vibrate in the space between them.

"What do you mean?" Estelle asked, her voice trembling slightly.

Celeste's smile softened, though the tension still crackled between them. "You've been in my head, Estelle. More than I'd like to admit. But this—us—it's real. And I want to see where it goes."

Estelle's breath hitched, her mind spinning with the implications of Celeste's words. There was no denying the chemistry between them, no pretending that what had been simmering beneath the surface wasn't real. But now, hearing Celeste say it out loud, it made everything more intense, more dangerous.

Estelle took a deep breath, trying to steady herself. "And what happens next?"

Celeste leaned back in her chair, her smirk returning. "That's up to you."

The ball was in her court. Estelle could feel the weight of Celeste's offer—an invitation to something more, something deeper. But it wasn't without risk. Their relationship was already complicated, and taking it further would only make it more so. Yet, despite the warnings ringing in the back of her mind, there was a part of her that couldn't resist.

For a moment, Estelle stayed silent, the decision weighing heavily on her. Then, finally, she met Celeste's gaze, her heart pounding in her chest as she made up her mind.

"I think I'm ready to find out."

Celeste's smile widened, a glimmer of satisfaction in her eyes as she leaned forward once more, her voice low and filled with promise. "Then let's begin, Estelle."