Chapter 5: My Only True Friend

18 years ago

10-year-old you yells at Kakucho, demanding he return your toy, feeling frustrated at his mocking taunts about your small stature.

You and Kakucho met on a playground, and ever since you first seen each other, you guys never stopped playing. He was always determined to be big and strong, and you would follow right in his footsteps.

After regaining your toy from Kakucho, he ceases the teasing and pats your head, gesturing towards a group of middle school kids nearby "I'm going to go teach those guys a lesson. I want you to watch."

"What? Why?" you ask, with genuine confusion. Young Kakucho's penchant for violence was apparent as he seemed willing to fight anyone without clear cause.

Kakucho's voice exuded a hint of jealousy as he huffed in irritation. "They think they're so big and strong," he muttered, expressing a sense of envy towards the group of middle school kids.

You tease him, pointing and laughing at him, reminding Kakucho jokingly, "Hey, you do know you're too small, right?"

Young Kakucho responds with pride, delivering a self-assured remark, "Never let anyone call you weak because you're small!" He seems pleased with this declaration, clearly holding onto it with significance.

Your sudden question catches young Kakucho off guard as you ask him, "Hey Kakucho, how come you hang out with me?" Curiosity fills your voice, and you're genuinely curious about the reason behind his choice to spend time with you.

Young Kakucho's response carries a subtle hint of protectiveness and affection as he replies, "Because I have to watch over you. You're my only true friend since I moved here." His voice softens, and a slight blush tints his cheeks.

You persist with your question, trying to understand the reasons behind Kakucho's actions. "But why?" you ask, seeking clarification on his motives.

Kakucho, growing slightly annoyed by your persistent questioning, snaps back, "Stop asking so many damn questions!" He quickly composes himself before marching over to the middle schoolers, likely preparing to engage in another one of his pointless fights.

Young you admired Kakucho's strength and resilient demeanor, finding inspiration in his abilities and his protective nature. He had often stood up for you, defending you from bullies after school, and you cherished him as a good friend for the next 2 years.

After the tragic passing of Kakucho's parents in a car accident, you lost contact with him as he was moved to an orphanage. You tried to find out more information about his whereabouts but eventually gave up. The teachings and lessons he had instilled in you through his strength and resilience stayed with you, and they played a significant part in shaping your own deliquent tendencies. It was with Kakucho that your journey towards becoming a deliquent first took root.

But you were always hoping you remembered him. The only person that would play with you on the playground back then. Your only true friend.

present day

As Kakucho watched you leave his restaurant, a faint memory stirred within him. A feeling of imminent revelation filled his thoughts, as if everything was about to become clear. "Could it be...?" he wondered to himself. He didn't know how to react to the possibility that you were the mysterious girl from 18 years ago, the one he had never seen again after his parents' passing.

Sanzu gazes at Kakucho, noticing the expression on his face. He turns to him and inquires, "What's up with that face?" His tone is curious and slightly mocking, as he wonders about the reason behind Kakucho's pensive demeanor.

Kakucho, having snapped out of his contemplation, quickly rises from his seat, deciding to head home for some rest before the party. He ignores Sanzu's question and swiftly exits the restaurant, leaving Ran, Rindou, and Sanzu sitting at the table in solitude.

Sanzu's mind races with thoughts, and a sense of rivalry emerges within him. He understands the need to be the one to uncover any secrets you might have before Kakucho, in order to gain Mikey's favor. Sanzu feels a strong desire to step up his game and create a friendly demeanor to befriend you, believing it would give him an edge over Kakucho.

Sanzu lets out a sigh before addressing Rindou and Ran. "I guess we have a party to get to. See you idiots in a few hours," he remarks, casually getting up and departing from the restaurant. Rindou and Ran, however, remain at the table, intending to enjoy more food before the upcoming event.

Back at home, Kakucho's thoughts are consumed by memories of you. He finds himself torn between approaching you at the party and asking if you remember him, or feigning ignorance as if he never knew you. The decision weighs heavily on his mind, as he contemplates the best course of action.

"Maybe I should just leave it alone..." he thinks.