goodbye alex

I brace myself as I walk through heavy metal doors, the smell of medacine fills the air and I feel a cold chill down my back. I am scared of hospitals but I'm putting up with it for my best friend alex, to me the hospital is a place of death and sadness.

I walk through the halls seeing people murdering lowly as to not disturb the other patience and I walk past a room hearing a family cry and sob, seeing that I attemt to swollow fearing I'm going to be in the same position soon.

I finally recognize a familiar number "number 204-hospice" i walk in she shyly say hey, I see a pair of green eyes open as she smile towards me and opens her arms wide. I walk into her arms and gave her a gentle long hug and hold my tears back, though no words were spoken in that hug I feel like I was saying alot to her.

Alex is my best friend she has stage 4 thyroid cancer, she has gone through chemo treatment and had tried lots of alternative methods, she had been cured of that vile cancer 2 times already, but it just keeps coming back. This is the 3rd time, but this time she said she had enough and chose to hospice.everyone tried talking her out of it, we all loved her to death; she always was a positive and outgoing person that acheived the impossible, she enjoyed participating in lots of clubs, watching anime, and playing video games.it hurt to see that once optimistic cheerful and stubborn person now on her deathbed ...

Everyone had made their way to her to say their final goodbye knowing the end of her life is soon, I'm just the last person. Alex scooted over and patted the bed next to her asking me to join her so I hopped next to her in bed and started telling her about school, family, friends, and everything new. I made sure to try to tell her alot of jokes to make her smile and be happy.
I asked her if she was hurting anywhere or needed anything, but she shook her head no.

I took out a small picture album for her and gave it to her telling her that it's filled with pictures from everyone we knew and loved, she gave me a big hug and said "thankyou I'll cherish it for the rest of my life" thank gave me a big smile. I avoided her eyes holding back my tears and sat up, I was about to run out of the room. I couldn't stand seeing my bestfriend like this and it tore me to peices,I don't understand why did the cancer keep coming back... I thought it was cured, I felt tears wallow up in my eyes and swallowed a huge lump in my throat.

As I was about to get up she grabbed my hand and asked "please look at me and smile, I want to smile with you again once more like the old times". she held on weakly to my hand as tightly as she could so I didn't run, I clenched my fist and my hand shook as I braced myself. I turned around and stared at her deep greed eyes, unable to hold back the tears any longer they streamed down my cheeks. I tried wiping them away, but they wouldn't stop i sobbed a it and alex started rubbing my hand as to comfort me. I try mybest to calm myself down, but unable to stop the tears, I look alex back in the eyes and muster the biggest smile I could.
She smiles brightly back, and than says "thankyou, please don't leave me alone. I'm scared and don't want to be alone." I nod and lay woth her rubbing her back as I play her favoret songs.

Slowly I felt her body get weaker and colder till it went limp, afraid she felt alone I hugged her and kept her hand in mines, she muttered a "I love you sophie" than I felt her hand release.
I called her name out a few times to no responce, I tried to feel for her breath and hear a heart beat... nothing. I looked at the time and wrote it down than I cried hard, I cried so hard like nothing else existed in the world except for us. I tried calling out her name again, but nothing came out; it was like swallowing a really really big pill, or if someone was choaking me. I stayed with her lifeless body for the next few hours till the doctors asked me to leave. I gave alex a kiss on the cheek and was barley able to mutter with a shake voice,
"goodbye alex, I love you".