CHAPTER II - Spring Break

April 30th, 2006 - Somewhere near Paris, France

Matheo Denis, a young psychology student, lay sprawled on his bed, crumbs from half-eaten snacks scattered across the sheets. His eyes were lazily fixed on the screen, the soft glow of a movie playing in the background after two grueling weeks spent buried in his books and textbooks, prepping for finals.

Matheo liked to think of himself as a "normal guy" despite some of his quirks. His life followed a simple, predictable rhythm: study, eat, sleep-repeat. That is, until the weekend hit, when he would break the monotony by partying with friends and letting loose-living the typical student life.

Tall and lean with messy brown hair and striking hazel eyes tucked behind thick-rimmed glasses, Matheo had a casual grungy à la Kurt Cobain vibe. Baggy jeans, loose plaid shirts, flannel shirts, and worn-out sneakers were his signature look, effortlessly cool without trying too hard.

His small, cluttered dorm room was a testament to his love of photography. The walls were plastered with snapshots of gritty urban scenes, fragments of people, and the occasional Polaroids of him and his friends having a good time at local parties. It was a passion that fueled him, especially when it led him to explore abandoned, forgotten places most people would not dare step foot in.

The movie "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" flickered on Matheo's small TV screen when his cell phone began to buzz. He lazily reached for his phone on the nightstand and answered.

'Hey man!'

'Hey Matt, are you busy?' Gregory Fadel, Matheo's best friend, asked.

'Not really. What's up?'

'Spring break is next week. I think we should plan something with the others. Are you in?' Gregory suggested enthusiastically.

'Definitely. I could use a break from the city.'

'Do you think we can find and plan something in just two days?"

'Leave it to me!'

Gregory sighed deeply. 'Again? Fine, I trust you.'

'I'll call you back once I have everything sorted, Greg.'

'By the way, I invited Alexis. I hope that's okay.'

Matheo's expression darkened at the mention of Alexis Fortier, a law student he met at a campus party. His mind raced with memories of their frequent bickering. He sighed heavily before replying, 'Really, Greg? You know Alexis and I don't get along.'

'Look, I'm sorry. I didn't realize you two had such a huge issue and hated each other. You're not backing out, are you?'

'Hate is a strong word, Greg,' Matheo said, 'Let's just say I wish I hadn't gotten involved with him. But I'm not canceling the trip. I'll call you tomorrow morning. Good night.'

Matheo hung up, stretched, and got out of bed. 'Fuck you, Alexis. I'm still going.' He murmured before he sat down at his desk, fired up his computer, and started searching for the perfect spring break destination.

'Oh Greg, what have you done?' Matheo muttered to himself, cracking his knuckles as he began typing.

He was deep into his research when a knock on the door interrupted him. Matheo got up and opened the door, but the hallway was empty. He looked around, then noticed a small package at his feet. He picked it up, puzzled.

'I didn't order anything,' Matheo murmured, seeing his name and the building's address on the package.

He opened it with a pair of scissors and found a silver necklace inside. It was simple but stylish, a perfect match for his 90s grunge look. Alongside it was a note: