Chapter 12

By the time I took a shower and crawled into bed—with Malachi still hanging around—it was nearly time for me to get up. I had volunteered for the Verity Fall's bake sale and craft fair in the Town Square weeks ago. Since it was near my shop, I planned to stop in and do some paperwork that I'd been neglecting once the fair was over.

However, I was exhausted. From going out and drinking then getting home to Malachi's temper tantrum, I'd drifted off to sleep without warning and the last thing I saw before the sleep won, was his face as he sat on the bed beside me.

But when I woke up in the morning, he was gone.

And, I wondered if I'd imagined it all in the first place.

Imagined him.

Getting ready for the day, I pulled on a pair of skinny jeans, my favorite black boots and an oversized blue flannel. Twisting my long brown curls up into a messy bun, I quickly put on some mascara and headed out.

Thankfully, when I got to the bake sale's central command in the town square about twenty minutes later, the cupcakes and cookies I ordered from the local bakery had made it.

Like I was going to bake them myself?

"This is a lot of product." Said Leslie, the head Librarian who had organized the entire event. "You didn't have to donate this much."

I smiled looking at the rows and delicious pastries, "I wanted to make sure we hit that fundraising goal."

Being a part of small town life meant doing small town things like bake sales and craft fairs. Every month it seemed like I was volunteering for something. Fundraisers for this or that, a new roof for the church or city hall. The why was forever changing but the gist was the same: everyone came together and did their part for each other.

I wasn't used to that at all.

Growing up, I was never close with my parents and once I got into the furthest collage across the country, I left and never looked back. Aside from the random and awkward holidays back home in California, I didn't have a lot to anchor me.

It's always just been me and I liked it that way.

For the most part.

It did get lonely. I think that was the main reason I gravitated towards Verity Falls to begin with. Not only did I fall in love with the bookstore when I saw the ad for sale, but the town itself made me feel like I belonged and like I could make a home there. It made me not even mind having to participate in so many corny small town events.

Deep down, I guess I loved all of it.

"We need more plastic wrap. I'll be right back." Leslie offered and she sauntered off through the crowd that started to form around the fair.

Townspeople and tourists alike browsed at the various craft booths and vendors selling their wares. The smell of fresh baked goods filled the crisp fall air and a nearby tent was selling hot cider and hot chocolate to pair with the donuts.

I reminded myself to get a cider before I headed back into the bookstore. Since it was the weekend, one of the local high school students was working the register and it was a pretty chill job for a part time gig. If it was slow, they could study or read a book.

"I'll take one of each." A familiar voice said from the front of the bake sale line. Looking up, I saw Eli's smiling face.

Fuck.

Immediately, my mind went to Malachi and the threats he made against Eli's safety if we had any further interactions.

But it was just a bake sale, right? He couldn't crucify me for selling the guy a donut, could he?