Chapter 1

The sun dipped low in the sky, casting a warm golden glow over the modest apartment complex that housed Yang Jungwon and his grandmother. It was a small, worn-down building, a far cry from the luxury that seemed to envelop the rest of the world. Jungwon stood by the window, his gaze lost in the shimmering horizon as he watched the neighborhood children play outside. Their laughter felt foreign to him, a stark contrast to the weight pressing down on his heart.

At nineteen, Jungwon was still just a boy in many ways, though life had forced him to mature far too quickly. He had been raised by his grandmother since the tender age of four, the moment his world crumbled beneath him. His father had abandoned them, leaving nothing but a hollow echo of what a family should be, while his mother succumbed to cancer, leaving a void that could never be filled. Memories of her were like fragile glass—beautiful yet painfully sharp, easily shattering with the slightest thought.

"Jungwon! Dinner's ready!" his grandmother called from the small kitchen, her voice warm yet tinged with fatigue. Jungwon turned away from the window, a flicker of guilt coursing through him. He had promised himself he would find a way to make things better for her, yet every day felt like a battle against an unrelenting tide.

He walked into the kitchen, where the aroma of simple, home-cooked meals enveloped him. His grandmother stood at the stove, her frail figure a silhouette against the flickering flames. She was a hardworking woman, her hands worn and calloused from years of toil. Despite their struggles, she always managed to put a meal on the table, her resilience a testament to her love for him.

"Thanks, Grandma," he said, forcing a smile as he sat down at their tiny table. The faded wallpaper and mismatched chairs felt familiar, comforting in their own way. They shared their meal in silence, the sound of clinking utensils filling the air as Jungwon stole glances at his grandmother, memorizing every line etched on her face.

"How was school today?" she asked, her voice gentle and encouraging. Jungwon hesitated, the weight of his responsibilities heavy on his shoulders.

"It was fine," he replied, knowing that honesty would only burden her more. He didn't want her to worry, especially now that her health had taken a turn for the worse.

In the back of his mind, however, worry gnawed at him like a relentless predator. Just last week, his grandmother had collapsed during one of their trips to the market. The doctor had delivered the devastating news: she had cancer, just like his mother. The words echoed in his mind, replaying over and over again, a cruel reminder of the fate that had already stolen so much from him.

"Jungwon?" His grandmother's voice broke through his thoughts. "You look troubled. Is something bothering you?"

He met her gaze, the concern in her eyes mirrored his own. "I'm just worried about you, Grandma. I want to make sure you're okay," he confessed, the lump in his throat tightening.

She reached out, placing her hand on his. "I'm tougher than you think, my dear. We've gotten through hard times before, haven't we? We'll get through this too," she said with a reassuring smile, though Jungwon could see the weariness in her eyes.

But this time felt different. The weight of uncertainty pressed heavily on his chest, threatening to crush him beneath its burden.

As they finished dinner, the conversation turned to mundane topics—the weather, local news, and the rising cost of groceries. Yet Jungwon felt the impending doom looming over them, casting a shadow on their shared laughter. The fleeting moments of joy were quickly overshadowed by the reality of their situation.

Later that night, after washing the dishes and helping his grandmother prepare for bed, Jungwon found himself lying on his mattress, staring at the ceiling. The small room felt suffocating, the walls closing in around him. He recalled the happy memories of his childhood, the warmth of his mother's embrace, and the way she used to sing to him before bedtime. Those moments felt like distant dreams now, lost in a fog of grief and longing.

Tears welled in his eyes as he thought about the fragility of life. He couldn't bear the thought of losing his grandmother, the only family he had left. He had to find a way to save her, to heal her, but what could he do?

His mind raced with possibilities. He had seen enough TV dramas to know that money could sometimes work miracles. But where would he find it? The thought of working multiple jobs made his head spin. He was already juggling his studies and part-time work at a night club, struggling to make ends meet.

But for his grandmother, he would do anything.

With newfound determination, he made a silent vow to himself: he would find a way to gather the money needed for her treatment, no matter the cost. He couldn't let history repeat itself; he wouldn't allow himself to be orphaned again.

As he closed his eyes, visions of his grandmother filled his mind—the way she always brushed his hair back from his forehead, the sound of her laughter, the smell of her comforting meals. Jungwon felt a surge of love and urgency swell within him, driving away the darkness that threatened to consume him.

The next morning, as the sun rose and painted the world in hues of orange and pink, Jungwon awakened with a renewed sense of purpose. He would begin by searching for additional work, something that could help pay for his grandmother's medical expenses. It wouldn't be easy, but he was willing to take on any challenge that lay ahead.

With a determined heart, he got dressed and headed out, the weight of his mission pushing him forward. He couldn't shake the thought that time was running out, and every moment counted.

As he walked through the bustling streets of Seoul, surrounded by throngs of people moving about their daily lives, Jungwon felt a sense of isolation. Everyone seemed to be caught up in their own worlds, oblivious to the struggles that lurked just beneath the surface. He could only hope that his love for his grandmother would guide him toward a solution, a way to shield her from the pain that loomed ahead.

Littledid he know that fate had other plans in store for him, plans that wouldintertwine his life with someone who would change everything.