Chapter 10

The morning light filtered through the curtains, casting soft shadows across the apartment. Jungwon lay in bed, staring at the ceiling, his heart heavy with the weight of his thoughts. It had been a few days since he had seen Sunghoon, and the space felt both comforting and suffocating. As much as he loved him, the pain of uncertainty gnawed at him, reminding him of their lack of exclusivity and the shadow of Sunghoon's past.

He rolled over, glancing at the clock. Sunghoon would be leaving for work soon, and Jungwon knew he needed to make a decision before the moment slipped away. A part of him wanted to stay, to bask in the warmth of Sunghoon's affection, but another part screamed for him to step back, to let Sunghoon find someone who could truly be his match.

Jungwon sat up, rubbing his eyes as the memories flooded back. Their laughter, the warmth of Sunghoon's embrace, the little moments that felt so right—all of it clashed with the reality that hung over them. The kiss he had witnessed that day replayed in his mind, each frame a reminder that he wasn't the only one in Sunghoon's life.

Taking a deep breath, he swung his legs over the edge of the bed. He felt the cool floor beneath his feet, grounding him as he prepared to face the truth. Jungwon moved to the kitchen, his mind racing. He needed to write a letter—a way to express everything he couldn't say aloud.

Jungwon grabbed a piece of paper and a pen, his hand trembling slightly as he started to write:

-

Dear Sunghoon,

I don't know how to say this without breaking my own heart. The time we spent together has been some of the happiest moments of my life. You showed me kindness and warmth when I needed it the most, and I'll always cherish that.

But I've come to realize that as much as I love you, we're not on the same page. I've been holding onto a hope that we could be something more, but the reality is that you deserve someone who can be there for you completely—someone who can be your match in every way.

You deserve to be happy, and if she's the one who can give you that, then I genuinely wish you both the best. Congratulations to both of you.

I don't want to be a part of your past anymore, and I know you need to find your future. Please understand that this decision comes from a place of love. I want you to be happy, even if it means being apart.

I hope you can forgive me for leaving like this. I'll always be grateful for the time we shared, and I wish you nothing but the best.

Take care of yourself.

With love,
Jungwon

-

As he put the pen down, Jungwon felt a mixture of relief and sorrow. This was the right decision, he reminded himself. But the ache in his chest felt insurmountable. He folded the letter carefully and placed it on the kitchen counter where Sunghoon would see it when he returned.

With one last glance around the apartment they had shared, Jungwon gathered his things—a few clothes and personal items—before slipping out the door. The hallway felt strangely quiet, amplifying the turmoil in his heart. Each step felt heavier as he walked down the stairs, knowing he was leaving behind a part of himself.

When Jungwon reached the front door, he hesitated for a moment. Memories of Sunghoon flooded his mind—the laughter, the late-night conversations, the warmth of their shared moments. But he steeled himself, reminding himself of the need for this decision. He opened the door and stepped into the cool morning air, feeling a rush of bittersweet freedom.

As he walked away from the building, he glanced back one last time. The sun was shining brightly, illuminating the world around him, yet it felt like a different day entirely. A day of loss. A day of letting go.

He didn't look back again, the weight of his decision settling heavily in his chest. Jungwon knew he had done what he believed was right for both of them, even if it broke his heart to do so.

Inside the apartment, Sunghoon had just returned from a morning meeting. He stepped inside, feeling a strange emptiness in the air. His eyes were drawn to the kitchen, where Jungwon's letter sat, folded and waiting for him.

Curiosity piqued, Sunghoon picked it up, his heart racing as he unfolded the paper. As he read Jungwon's words, confusion turned to disbelief, and then despair as he grasped the full weight of Jungwon's decision.

"Jungwon..." he whispered, feeling a chill run through him. He sank into a chair, the letter trembling in his hands as the reality of the situation began to sink in. Jungwon had left.

Sunghoon's heart ached, realizing too late how important their connection had become. The warmth of Jungwon's presence was now a gaping void, leaving him alone with his thoughts and regrets. He had been so focused on his past that he hadn't seen the potential of a future with Jungwon—one that could have been filled with love, laughter, and a deeper connection.

As he sat there, Sunghoon felt tears prick at the corners of his eyes. He wanted to run after Jungwon, to tell him that he didn't have to go, that they could work things out. But the words caught in his throat, drowned by the fear of pushing Jungwon away even further.

"Jungwon..." he murmured again, his heart aching with a longing he hadn't realized was there until it was too late.

In that moment, Sunghoon knew he had lost something precious—a chance at love, a connection he had taken for granted. The apartment felt emptier than ever, and the silence echoed the heartache he felt inside.

His mind drifted back to that day in the parking lot when Minah had confronted him. She had approached him with a mixture of confidence and desperation, leaning in for a kiss, reminding him of their past. Sunghoon had instinctively pushed her away, his voice firm as he said, "You cheated on me, Minah. I can't go back to that."

Hereyes had flashed with hurt, but he had stood his ground. "I have someone Itruly love now," he had declared, thinking of Jungwon, whose warmth had filledthe void Minah had left. He remembered the look of shock on her face, but inthat moment, Sunghoon had felt certain. He was done with the past; he was readyto embrace something real with Jungwon.