Prologue

"Tell me about Daniel," my therapist says. The name is a punch to the gut, one I’m still not used to. I don’t answer right away. What am I supposed to say? That I love him? That I hate him? That he broke me?

I pick at the edge of my sleeve, fingers pulling at the frayed thread, my leg bouncing faster and faster, like it’s trying to outrun the words that are stuck in my throat. Each bounce matches the pounding in my chest, but I can’t bring myself to meet her eyes.

"June." Her voice is calm but with that edge of impatience I’ve come to hate. "I can't help you if you don't talk about the source of your problems."

Source of my problems. If only it were that simple.

I glance around the room, eyes landing on the clock ticking away on the wall. Two minutes past the hour. Fifteen minutes until freedom. It's bad enough my parents sent me to this place, a ‘facility’ where they think talking to a stranger can magically fix what’s wrong with me. Now, I have to bare my soul to this woman who knows nothing about me? Fucking bullshit.

Still, I can feel her waiting. Staring. Her eyes pressing down on me until the words slip out, fragile and cracked.

"Daniel was my childhood best friend." My voice breaks when I say his name, and I hate it—hate the way it still affects me, even now. It’s been months since I’ve talked about him. Months since I’ve heard his voice, yet I think about him every damn day. God, am I pathetic or what? You say you hate the guy, but then you can't stop thinking about him. Every word he said, every time he smiled at me. I can still count all his freckles.

I swallow hard, my chest tight. I want to stop, but the memories are bubbling up, threatening to spill over. There’s no stopping them now.