Chapter 1 - Viv West

The night was new. Security patrolled the perimeter of the House of Jewels. And all Viv West could hear was her stomach growling as she peered through the window.

Her black sedge hat tapped the glass as she crept against the presidential house. She noticed the hall was empty inside, perfect for infiltration—

Her stomach growled even louder.

"What was that?" gasped Cato. He leaned in beside her with concern.

Viv pushed back from the window and turned to her weapons specialist. "Do you mind?"

Cato shook his head. "No, not at all."

Viv ripped her mask off, then flipped her hat back. Her chin-length brown hair fluttered in the passing breeze with her black feather cape. She outstretched her palm to Cato.

"Food. Now," she demanded.

Cato pulled a dark bag off his shoulder. His whole attire consisted of weaponry and gadgets. While Viv donned a sedge hat, a matching silver and black mask, and a black bodysuit, Cato was covered head to toe with utilities of similar apparel. His black suit was not as tight, but he supplied himself with pockets, clips, and a utility belt full of tools—including knives, radios, picks, and stun guns. His backpack carried extra supplies. As the team's weapon specialist, Cato's suit supplied everyone when needed.

"Here," Cato said, pulling out a granola bar.

Viv swiped the bar from him. She ripped the plastic off and bit into the salty snack.

"That's better," Viv exhaled. She patted Cato's head, ruffling his messy brown hair, then stepped aside. "Never change, Cato Rose."

"You should've eaten before we left," Naomi huffed nearby. Viv turned to face the team's hacker, who leaned against the wall, silent and solitary.

"I wasn't hungry at the time," Viv remarked. "Besides, I don't like Fern's cooking."

Cato zipped his bag, then swung it back over his shoulder. "I think Fern is decent at baking."

"She's better than you, Viv," Naomi sighed.

"I know how to cook," Viv scoffed. She returned to the window, peering inside again to ensure the coast was clear. "But I'm picky. Fern overcooks everything."

"I'd rather have my food overcooked than undercooked," added Cato.

Viv rolled her eyes. She put the silver mask over her face again, then placed the hat over her head. "Whatever floats your boat, kid. Dry food still sucks ass."

Naomi toyed with her tablet, still leaning against the wall. "I can't disable the cameras out here," she muttered, then pushed herself to stand. "But the forcefield alarm triggers are now down. We can break the glass."

"Do you have access to the House's power grid?"

"Yes." Naomi scrutinized her screen. "Whoever our employer is gave the Cranes a digital map to it."

"You know what to do." Viv nodded to her. "Turn out the lights."

Naomi swiped across her tablet. "On it."

"Good." Viv held her hand out to Cato again. "Crowbar."

Cato detached a crowbar from his belt, then handed it to Viv. He stepped aside, inching closer to Naomi as Viv held the metal up to strike. She slammed the crowbar against the window, shattering the glass. She kicked down what remained of the shards, then stepped inside the dark interior of the House of Jewels.