CHAPTER 14

''Well now you're left without answers and it's going to be even more awkward next time you hang out around Kevin or Nick. You know for sure he's going to be there, too.''

The words used by her best friend still resonated in her brain, and it hadn't aged well, that was for sure. Almost a month since she'd last seen Joe – which also meant that she had been careful when it came to the rest of the Jonas bunch. There had been a few texts here and there, especially from Danielle and, surprisingly, even Priyanka had texted her to ask her when she would plan a trip to L.A.

Although she really wanted to escape the noisy streets of Manhattan, where she spent most of her time lately to take care of her art gallery, the sunny beaches of Southern California would have to wait. Deep down, she knew all too well that it was an excuse. She could easily let Becca handle the gallery, as she had done multiple times in the past; she knew the place so well that she could manage it with both eyes closed.

''You know I love you babe, but you're a coward.''

Shocked by the words used by her closest friend, Riley turned towards her, eyes almost popping out of her head. She loved her best friend but she wished the latter would come with a filter once in a while. She appreciated sometimes and even found it funny in certain situations, but in that moment, Riley wished she could smack her in the head with the pen she had in her hand.

''Where is this coming from, Becca?'' Riley closed the notebook that was in front of her and stared at her friend, an irritated look in her normally warm eyes. ''We're supposed to find ideas to keep this business, my business, afloat and you want to do some one-on-one therapy session?''

Becca rolled her eyes, not even phased. ''Ok you need to chill a little bit, don't get your panties in a twist, we've been doing this for almost 3 days, you've been moody ever since Priyanka called you. Maybe your friend Danielle is too polite to say something, but I will. You're acting like a brat right now, and you're shutting out people that did nothing to you. Kevin and Nick. Danielle, too.''

''I'VE SLEPT WITH THEIR BROTHER, BECCA!'' Riley exclaimed, cutting off the brunette.

''They don't know that! But they'll suspect something weird happened if you keep acting weird around them! So what if you guys slept together? You're gonna let something like that stop you from enjoying a few days at the beach? Babe if you don't go I'll gladly take your place 'cause those California men are fine as hell.''

For the first time that day, Riley could feel some of the tension leaving. She had to agree with her friend – she was acting like a brat with her friends, and they didn't deserve to be treated that way.

''So... What do you think I should do?''

Becca gave her, her infamous smirk. ''You call Priyanka, and you tell her that you plan on visiting them in L.A soon. Girl you don't say no to Priyanka Chopra Jonas. You just don't.''

5 days later - LAX AIRPORT

Riley grabbed her duffle bag and looked around her, trying to find the nearest exit where her friend would be waiting for you. She had been to Los Angeles in the past, but it was a long time ago, and this airport was like a labyrinth.

She took a good look at the people around her, and instantly felt like she did not belong there – most women had the typical OC look and, as she looked down at her light skin and sweatpants, she felt like she was sticking out like a sore thumb. Riley the redhead is ready to take over Los Angeles, she thought to herself, which instantly made her laugh.

After 10 minutes she located DOOR 12, where she knew her friend would be waiting for her. She had no idea if Priyanka would send someone from their team, or if she would show up herself, but she prayed that if the brunette did, it wouldn't cause to much chaos. The last thing she wanted was to end up in the papers, or to receive more hate online.

As she stood outside, looking around for a familiar face, or a sign with her name on it, she only saw a few cars parked and people hurrying in and out of the busy airport. But no sign of Priyanka. Suddenly, her phone rang with a new notification, forcing her to look down at it. She opened the text.

''Stop looking so lost and make your way towards the black escalade parked behind the red car.''

Riley didn't even need to read the name of the person who'd send her the message; she knew exactly who the sassiness belonged to. Rolling her eyes, she tightened her grip on her bag and made her walked to the described car parked a few feet from her.

Opening the passenger door, she got in, threw her bag in the backseat and turned towards her friend. The look on her face resembled the one a mother would give her child if she was unimpressed with their attitude. Nick just sat there, arms crossed, wearing his sunglasses and his familiar smirk. He ignored the look she was giving him and turned towards the backseat, where her duffle bag was.

''That's it? Aren't girls supposed to pack a lot of suitcases even for a few days?''

''What are you talking about? We're not all you, Nicholas. Only necessities. Besides, it'll be faster if I want to run away from you.''

Nick let out a laugh at his friend's wit. He'd definitely missed that. ''As if Priyanka would let you leave that fast.''

''I have an open ticket...'' Riley confessed, humor in her tone.

''You're not leaving before you explain to me why you've been acting weird and why the hell my brother is coincidentally being awkward. I know it's Joe we're talking about but he's definitely not our Joe.''

She was definitely in trouble... 

- - - - - - - - - - - 

It's a bit short, but it was on purpose, I will (probably) update another one by sunday. 
I'm soooo sorry it took me so long to update, summer has been tough and I'm currently in my last year of Uni, so... you know, priorities. 
To be honest I wasn't expecting to have lots of readers when I started this story, but I appreciate it. 
Also, sorry I barely corrected the chapter after writing it. 
Hope you enjoy it, and take care y'all. :)