CHAPTER THREE

Night grew in the sky, the camp was silent. Ivykit lay in the nursery, the soft glow of fireflies flickered through the entrance, casting a magical light that danced across the stone walls. But even with the peaceful atmosphere, Ivykit's mind was restless, troubled by thoughts of rainforestClan's recent trespasses. Suddenly a thought popped up to her, this could be her chance to be more brave, she can go over there and stop this before anything bad happens
She glanced at her denmates, all curled up together in a cozy heap, and felt a surge of determination. She needed to take action. With a quick poke, she nudged Owlkit awake.
"Owlkit, wake up," she whispered urgently, Owlkit stirred, her green eyes blinking open. "What's wrong, Ivykit?"
"We're sneaking out," Owlkit's eyes widened in alarm. "Sneaking out!?"
"Shh!" Ivykit hissed, glancing toward the other sleeping kits to make sure they remained undisturbed. "We need to see what's happening with rainforestClan. I'm not letting them take more of our territory."
Owlkit, now fully awake, grumbled, "are you crazy! Rainforestclan will easily shred you to pieces!" Ivykit's gaze was unwavering. "Trust me, Owlkit. We need to check this out. We can't just sit here while our clan's land is being threatened. And besides, they shouldnt harm young cats"
"Alright, alright," Owlkit murmured, rising to his paws. "But if we get in trouble..." Ivykit cut her off with a decisive nod. "We won't get caught if we're careful. Come on." With a mix of excitement and nervousness, owlkit followed closely behind, her senses sharp and alert. "Alright, looks like we're clear," Ivykit said, glancing around carefully.
Owlkit paused, her brow furrowing with uncertainty. "Is this really necessary? Batstar can deal with this, can't he?" Ivykit sighed, her gaze turning serious.
" the sooner we do this the better owlkit, we won't know if rainforestclan is ever going to attack us, Don't worry, we'll be fine," she assured her, Suddenly, Owlkit's ears pricked as movement caught her attention from the entrance, a tail disappearing around the corner.though ivykit didn't sense its presence nearby "Everything okay there?" Ivykit whispered, noticing her sister's reaction."Yeah, I just thought I saw something. Doesn't matter," Owlkit replied, trying to dismiss the momentary alarm.
The two kits cautiously headed across the corner, one keeping watch while the other scanned their surroundings, ensuring they weren't being watched. "alright... one.... Two .... Three" They pushed a rock to the side, revealing a small crack leading to a narrow tunnel.
Side by side, they made their way through the confined space until it opened up to a huge opening just outside of camp, with a towering tree behind it. "Hello, Rooty! Looks like he's growing alright now," Ivykit exclaimed with a grin, gesturing towards the massive tree. Owlkit nodded in agreement, impressed by the tree's growth.
"Sure does. It's amazing how much it's grown since we last saw it," she remarked, her eyes tracing the gnarled roots that extended into the ground.
Ivykit's heart raced as she glanced at the borders close by, owlkit padded from behind, only for her to look back at the dark figure near the hollow gorge. The wind carried a faint, unfamiliar scent, making her fur prickle with unease. "We need to be quick, Owlkit," she urged, her voice low but firm. The urgency in her tone was clear—Ivykit was eager to complete their mission and return to the safety of DawnClan's territory.
As they approach the borders, owlkit startet to feel as if there something not right, but while thinking ivykit jumped across the stream which landed in the tall smooth grass that lead deeper into the rainforest. "Wait ivykit!" she hissed as ivykit turned to face her "come on owlkit its not that bad"

Owlkit looked around "thats not what i mean, look there". Ivykit was curious on what she ment, she turned to where owlkit was pointing to with her tail, "pawprints,?" ivykit wasnt catching to why owliit was so overwhelmed about "what i'm saying is that they would petrol here most of the time, they might catch our scent".

Ivykit now understood as she quickly jumped back to there border "than what do u suggest we should do than"
Owlkit hesitated, her eyes drawn to the shadows where the a dark gorge was than leads to a cave underneath. Suddenly she saw the figure she mightve saw back at camp, only for it to vanished. She felt a pull in that direction, a strange curiosity mingled with caution. "Maybe we should go this way instead." She pointed with her nose toward the path that led deeper into the unknown.
Ivykit frowned, her confusion evident. "Why would we go down there? We were supposed to check the rainforestClan border, remember?"
Owlkit shifted her paws, a twinge of uncertainty in her voice. "I know, but... what if this path leads us somewhere important? We don't know all the ways into rainforestClan's territory, and this could be a hidden entrance they're using. Besides, if we stick to the usual routes, we're more likely to leave a trail for their patrols to find in the morning. This way, we might discover something they don't expect."
Ivykit studied her sister, weighing her words carefully. The gorge looked foreboding, but Owlkit had a point. They needed to think like warriors—clever and cautious, always one step ahead. After a tense moment, Ivykit gave a reluctant nod. "Alright, Owlkit. We'll try it your way. But stay close, and keep your ears sharp."
With a shared glance of determination, the two kits padded cautiously down the slope, their pawsteps muffled by the soft earth beneath them. The shadows deepened as they descended, the walls of the gorge closing in around them. Ivykit's fur remained bristled, every instinct on high alert. "Are you sure this is safe?" she whispered, her voice barely above a breath as the darkness pressed in.
Owlkit's ears twitched as she scanned the unfamiliar terrain. "I don't know," she admitted, her voice steady despite the uncertainty in her eyes. "But we need to find out."
As they moved deeper into the gorge, bones lined the path, their pale shapes casting spooky shadows. Ivykit and Owlkit pressed close together, their earlier confidence fading. But they kept going, determined to find a way into rainforestClan's territory.
"You don't need to be scared," Owlkit whispered, trying to sound brave.
"Scared? Not me!" Ivykit scoffed, though her heart was pounding. She pushed ahead, eager to show she wasn't afraid.
Owlkit laughed a little, but then she stopped suddenly, her ears twitching. A soft laugh echoed from the shadows, sending a chill through her fur.
"Did you hear that?" Owlkit's voice shook, her eyes wide as she stared into the darkness
Owlkit's heart pounded as she realized Ivykit had ventured too far ahead. Panic surged through her, and she called out, "Wait, Ivykit, come back!" She sprinted after her sister, paws thudding against the ground.
When she caught up, her earlier courage wavered. "Maybe we should go back," Owlkit mewed, her voice tight with unease.
Ivykit bristled, her eyes blazing with defiance. "What? You think something bad's gonna happen? I'm not scared! I won't back down from anything!" she insisted, determination shining in her gaze.
But Owlkit's annoyance quickly turned to fear. Her eyes widened as she spotted something creeping behind Ivykit, at the entrance of the cave a soft, eerie chuckle echoing from the shadows. Her fur stood on end. "Ivy..." she whispered, voice trembling. But before she could finish, she saw sharp teeth gleaming in the darkness, ready to pounce.
"Run!" Owlkit yowled, pulling Ivykit back as the creature lunged.
They scrambled up the jagged rocks, the creature's hot breath nearly on their tails. Ivykit risked a glance back, only to realize with a jolt of terror that Owlkit had vanished. Panic seized her, but she forced herself to keep running, her heart pounding in her chest.
Out of nowhere, something strong yanked Ivykit to the side, sending her tumbling into a narrow tunnel hidden between the rocks. She landed in a heap, gasping for breath. As her eyes adjusted to the dim light, she spotted Owlkit huddled nearby, eyes wide with fear. To her shock, Hyenakit was there too.
"Hyenakit? How did you—" Ivykit started, but Hyenakit cut her off, his tone sharp.
"Thought you might need a paw," Hyenakit muttered, a hint of sarcasm in his voice. "You two are always getting yourselves into trouble."
Ivykit glared at him, torn between relief and annoyance. "Why do you always have to follow us? It's not like you're helping!"
"Shh!" Hyenakit snapped, pressing his nose to the tunnel wall. The creature's snarls echoed through the rocks, its heavy breaths rattling in the dark.
The three kits held their breath as the beast passed by, the sound of its growls fading into the distance. Only when the tunnel was silent did Hyenakit turn to them. "This way," he whispered, leading them deeper into the winding passage.
The tunnel twisted and turned before opening into a small, hidden alcove. Ivykit and Owlkit finally allowed themselves to relax, their sides heaving as they caught their breath. But even in the safety of the alcove, Ivykit's irritation simmered just below the surface.
They were safe for now, but Hyenakit's meddling had once again left Ivykit feeling both grateful and frustrated. She exchanged a glance with Owlkit, both relieved to be out of danger, yet keenly aware that this wouldn't be the last time he would appear out of nowhere to rescue them.
As they caught their breath in the small tunnel, Ivykit eyed Hyenakit warily. "So, uh, you're not telling anyone about this, right?" she asked, trying to keep her voice steady despite the lingering adrenaline.
Hyenakit's eyes gleamed with a mix of irritation and amusement. "Maybe, if we all make it back to camp alive. But honestly, why are you two out here? You've got to have a better reason than just wandering off."
Ivykit shifted uncomfortably. "We were just trying to see what was happening on the border. There's been talk of rainforestClan sneaking around, and we thought we'd check it out."
Hyenakit's tail flicked with irritation. His response full of laughter "And you thought pressuring rainforestclan to stop going across our borders seems easy to you" Owlkit, still catching her breath, added defensively, "It was Ivykit's idea, but we thought it might be important. Besides, we're not kits anymore. We can handle ourselves."
Hyenakit snorted. "Oh, really? You were doing a great job handling yourselves just now, weren't you?" His tone dripped with sarcasm. "What were you planning to do if that creature caught up to you? Just meow at it until it ran away?"
Ivykit bristled. the 3 kits made its way out of the tunnel, leading to the other side of the stones, though they can still hear the creatures chuckled nearby, hyenakit broke the silence with a low whisper.
"Well, now I know something new. It's that you're always a stupid weakling, and you always will be," Hyenakit's words reverberated in Ivykit's mind, igniting a fire of defiance within her.
With a swift movement, she pushed Hyenakit to the ground, her fur bristling with indignation as she hissed fiercely. The sound of his mrow echoed through the hollow clearing, causing a tense silence to settle over the group.
Ears pricked in alarm as they heard the approach of the creature, its snarls growing louder with each passing moment. Soon they continued sprinting out in the open, where the walls began to close by every step,
Panic surged through Ivykit as she realised they were trapped in a dead end. "Lizard dung, we're trapped!" Hyenakit's panicked exclamation snapped Ivykit back to reality, her heart pounding in her chest as she assessed their dire situation.
In the midst of the chaos and fear, Ivykit found herself drawing upon her earlier resolve. I will not back down.
I'm not afraid, she whispered to herself, her voice a quiet mantra of determination. Brushing aside the protests of the two kits, With a steadying breath, she prepared to face the looming threat head-on, her senses alert and her instincts sharp. But just as the creature was poised to charge towards them, it suddenly halted in its tracks, its attention diverted by something behind them.
Ivykit turned to see a shadow moving with incredible speed—a large, dark tabby with a powerful, commanding presence. The cat leaped through the clearing, muscles rippling under its pelt as it confronted the threat with fierce determination. Its growls were low and menacing, echoing through the dark canyons as it swiftly and decisively dealt with the menace.
Ivykit's eyes widened in awe as the tabby's claws flashed in the dim light. Each strike was precise, every movement calculated. The creature it faced, overwhelmed by the cat's strength and skill, quickly retreated into the darkness, its threat vanishing as abruptly as it had appeared, its chuckles growly quieter and quieter as it faced the darkness, swallowing it whole .

The camp fell silent as the danger receded, and Ivykit's heartbeat gradually slowed. A wave of relief washed over her, mixed with a deep, lingering gratitude for their mysterious saviour. She turned to Owlkit, her eyes reflecting a mix of wonder and curiosity.
"W-who was that?" she whispered, her voice barely above a breath.
Owlkit shook her head, her fur bristling with both excitement and confusion. "I don't know," she replied. "But that was amazing. I've never seen anyone fight like that."her gaze searching the darkness for any sign of the cat's return.
"CLOUDSTREAK, HARESHADE, i found them!!!" The kits' heads snapped up at the sound of the familiar voice, their hearts racing with a mix of relief and apprehension.
Silverpaw's appearance brought a sense of reassurance, her expression conveying relief as she stood beside her mentor, Cloudstreak."Silverpaw, Cloudstreak!" Ivykit exclaimed, her voice filled with relief as she caught sight of the familiar faces.
Before they could fully process the situation, a thump behind them made the kits whirl around in surprise. The deputies imposing figure loomed over them, his tone carrying a mix of sternness and concern "well then," Hareshade's voice rumbled, his gaze sweeping over the group. "There will be a lot of explaining tonight,"